second strobe - changing model and brand a good idea ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an ys-110a and consider adding another strobe.
I'm seriously considering the inon s2000 due it's size so in case of travel or when more difficult to bring big rig, just getting the small strobe.

I was wondering is having 2 different strobes is a real issue from a color temperature point of view (main problem) and also from a balancing-boyancy side (probably not as bad).

Does anyone using inon + S&S ?

Thanks for any hint

I have an ys-110a and consider adding another strobe.
I'm seriously considering the inon s2000 due it's size so in case of travel or when more difficult to bring big rig, just getting the small strobe.

I was wondering is having 2 different strobes is a real issue from a color temperature point of view (main problem) and also from a balancing-boyancy side (probably not as bad).

Does anyone using inon + S&S ?

Thanks for any hint

Hi I am - I bought a SnS 110a as I love SnS products because they are well made and are very reliable. I got an opportunity to buy a Inon Z240 at a reasonable price (close to the 110a) and based on the gushing enthusiasm of many people for Inon flashes bought it.

The upside, Inon are wonderful flashes and the Z240 quickly became the 'master' to the 110a 'slave'.

These comments only relate to the TTL use with both flashes, if you are using manual then it doesn't matter what you do with them they will work well.

It took me some time to get them working properly together and there are still minor issues but those would be the same if you had 2 of the same brand. My issues came from my camera I stupidly assumed you could set the flash to 1/64th power (to save battery) and still take TTL - you cant, the flash must be in full auto. The other issue has only just surfaced and that is to do with flash positioning and relates to all flashes same or different brands. I tried to do more edge flash work on my last trip pointing the flashes in towards the camera and they were (dependent on how they were facing) cancelling each other out due to the slave settings for Optical cable connections.

To answer your questions: there are no issues in using both together although I have NOT used electronic cable connections which I am told do not work with different flashes. The colour temperature seems to be very close if not the same.

You have to ignore what the manufacturers sites say about compatibility as they both have statements of limitation.

If I did it again I would most probably buy both the same, the Inon is far more complex to set up than the SnS but once it is done there is little to do, and the Inon manual is a nightmare but there are many here who understand and can put there odd eng/jap into real english for you. There is also the issue of understanding two different strobes, so if you make lots of flash adjustments UW you might like to consider sticking with 2 x SnS.

I would also buy another 110a flash as I am very impressed with mine, and the weight is not much different to the Z240.

Go ahead if that is what you want you will be OK.

If you use the manufacturer's diffusers, then I can not see the color temperature difference at all. With the non-diffused strobes sometimes I think I can see the difference but I have to look quite hard to see it. Also, it is not only with two different strobes that you have troubles trying TTL with strobes pointing at each other and one as a slave. The answer is to shoot in manual not TTL and then you have no issues (alright you still have issues getting good pics but at least the strobes will work).
Bill

If you use the manufacturer's diffusers, then I can not see the color temperature difference at all. With the non-diffused strobes sometimes I think I can see the difference but I have to look quite hard to see it. Also, it is not only with two different strobes that you have troubles trying TTL with strobes pointing at each other and one as a slave. The answer is to shoot in manual not TTL and then you have no issues (alright you still have issues getting good pics but at least the strobes will work).
Bill

Bill I think you have neatly summed up the issues of UW flash photography.

i use a D2000 and YS27dx....both in manual when using both. i will use the D2000 in TTL when running a single strobe but still find myself making adjustments anyway.

Back
Top Bottom