Second Thoughts About Rebreather Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you might have , I was there when that mini tsunami went threw and the gun director broke off and went threw the sara hanger..... I think it was nov 2006 there was a real kafuffle when myself and another 2 guys lost the return ticket to Mauro and was told at one point we couldn't get off the island

Naw, I guess I left a little earlier. The airline flew in fits and starts through the end on 2007, then was so unreliable in early 2008 that nearly everyone trying to get to Bikini was stranded at one end or the other. That was the death knell for the land-based resort at Bikini. The land based operation was convenient, but not to everyone's taste. When we started liveaboard operations in 2011, we immediately ditched the surface-supplied deco gas and gave everyone their own deco cylinders, because that's what they wanted anyway. I will venture to say that, given the total ban on international flights to date, there will be no diving at Bikini Atoll this year. Next year, who knows who will be left standing?

I have plans for Bikini August/September 2021. If it was this year I probably would have given up by now. Being more than a year away, I keep my hopes up. And to stay a little on topic, I could only do it with a rebreather.

if you can id say do it , the wrecks were fantastic sitting on the sand under the nagatos guns and picking up the phone on the bridge was awesome !!!!

I'm sure its been said in this thread before, and it will be said again. Rebreather diving is not for everyone!

If you're a regular trimix deep diver though, you'll save yourself a bucket load on the cost of helium (just saying).

The most important thing to me, as a CCR instructor at both recreational and technical level is that the training you are given is taken seriously. Due to the potential for hypoxia, hyperoxia and hypercapnia (on top of all the normal OC risks one might encounter) a CCR diver needs to be more alert to what they're doing and what they're breathing. If we instill during training a small dollop of fear and a large dollop of respect, people take the training seriously, monitor their gas, understand and practice their bail-out routines and live happily ever after as a CCR diver. I find, personally, its really not that hard to monitor your PO2 constantly on a dive, and I prefer to dive a mechanical CCR too. If it weren't for the cost of scrubber in the tropics, I'd dive CCR practically every dive.

But like I said, Rebreather diving is not for everyone.

My buddy, and tech CCR instructor, Jon and I pulled together this (long) video on CCR diving for beginners, where we even go into some detail to show you 'how' a rebreather works (in a very simplistic way). Of course I think its excellent, but check it out too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom