Secrets Maroma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaguy9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everybody,
I am a AOW and will be going to Secrets Maroma with my nondiving wife. I would like to dive 3-4 days of 2 tank diving while there but am limited by the time ie I try to be back at the resort early afternoon ( before 1 pm) The resort operator is Aquaworld. They dive Mon Weds and Fri and go to the same 2 reefs each day and have middling reviews. I have been to Cozumel and love the diving there but need to have a full service luxury resort for my spouse so Coz is not an option..She is set on Maroma . Any dive suggestions?
Ps read scubaboard several days per week and enjoy it thoroughly .

Hello Everybody,
I am a AOW and will be going to Secrets Maroma with my nondiving wife. I would like to dive 3-4 days of 2 tank diving while there but am limited by the time ie I try to be back at the resort early afternoon ( before 1 pm) The resort operator is Aquaworld. They dive Mon Weds and Fri and go to the same 2 reefs each day and have middling reviews. I have been to Cozumel and love the diving there but need to have a full service luxury resort for my spouse so Coz is not an option..She is set on Maroma . Any dive suggestions?
Ps read scubaboard several days per week and enjoy it thoroughly .

Secrets Maroma is between Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen...not well situated for diving I’m afraid. I think there are 2 options, neither are ideal but you need to compromise unless you can change resorts. You can hook up with a dive shop in Puerto Morelos and dive the reefs there, or you can hook up with a shop (Playa or wherever) and dive the cenotes. You will be spending some time travelling between your resort and the dive sites either way. I think the Puerto Morelos dive sites will be closer than the cenotes.

You could try Maroma Adventures, they beside the El Dorado Maroma. I have never used them though. Maroma Adventures: Riviera Maya tours, beach club & mar If you decide to dive out of Playa, I highly recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home have been diving with Nico and his brother for about 8 years. They own a small family run dive shop in Playa. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you.

@Dogbowl beat me to it, I would suggest driving up to Puerto Morelos. The C-56 Cadete Juan Escutia is a pretty nice wreck dive. Several of the reef dives were good. I used Dive in Puerto Morelos, there are several other operators. Search Puerto Morelos in the Mexico Forum

Thanks
Several years ago we stayed at the Excellence in Puerto Morelos and my son and I used Dive with Bret
Will investigate that area and travel time once again.

Ditto to @Dogbowl and @scubadada about Puerto Morelos. I also used Dive in Puerto Morelos and they were just a short walk to the beach and boat from there shop. Took a taxi on the days I dove from the Grand Mayan - think you're closer - and there were plenty of taxis there when I was ready to go back. The dive sites are in a protected national marine park. I thought it was pretty good diving from the mainland.

Secrets Maroma is pretty close to Playa del Carmen. There are a few dive shops in Playa, Dune Mexico Blue Dream for one, that works with the two boats that have permission to cross the channel from the mainland to the Cozumel dive sites. So, you take that boat across, dive from it, and return on it. Very easy and convenient and you're back pretty early because there is no bag drag on the ferry.

For those mentioning Dive in Puerto Morelos and/or Brett, he has closed up shop some years ago.

Others (like us) are available.

I would avoid Aquaworld.

Back
Top Bottom