Secrets Resort Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the first rule of secrets is that you don't talk about secrets.
Seems like the kind of place you take the girlfriend, not the wife, but then, I haven’t been to Coz in over 10 years.

Husband wants an all inclusive with good food. I want a nice beach. Should we look for a different resort?

we are not looking for a ton of activities at the resort--mainly good food, nice beach

My .02 cents....

1. There is no such thing as an AI on Cozumel with good food. Go a-la-carte - it will not cost "that much" more than the AI and you get better quality fresh made to order amazing food.

2. Secrets Beach - If you decide on this resort. take water shoes. There is only one west side walk in beach which is at Allegro.... I didn't like the food there moreso than Secrets.

I suggest if you MUST have a beach, get a condo @ residencias reef, you'll be much happier. Personally, I love staying closer to town, and Palmar Condos or Casa Del Mar are my picks... Much more convenient for diving and restaurants downtown.

Residencias reef is an interesting option, i've stayed there once and its' like the best.... or worst of both worlds.

Its great that its south, away from town and close to reefs..... but there are no restaurants, or services on-site so you need to goto the grocery store for snacks, food, drinks and every meal that you do not cook yourself.... is definitely a taxi ride or a trip in your rental car.

Its beach is nice, about the same as Iberostar's. And there are at least two pools there. The place is quiet. Too quiet for my tastes.

Basically if you want the option of food/drink onsite.... i'd say that is not your place.

i'm going down in two weeks and am actually looking for some cabbable beaches we could spend a few hours of snorkel and chill. Obvs we'll be doing some boat diving and snorkeling but the wife and kids also like plain old beach. Def not looking to pay some exorbitant day rate for places like passion or beach clubs. thoughts?

i'm going down in two weeks and am actually looking for some cabbable beaches we could spend a few hours of snorkel and chill. Obvs we'll be doing some boat diving and snorkeling but the wife and kids also like plain old beach. Def not looking to pay some exorbitant day rate for places like passion or beach clubs. thoughts?
Head to "Welcome to Miami.....or there are a few more just pass WTM that rents chairs and offers food and drink.,,These are near Punta Sur area south of town...we spent Xmass day there and it was awesome!

You might consider Playa Corona. It has a sandy area with palapas, though there are a couple of steps down to the water. The snorkeling is pretty good, with lots of sea fans and stuff in shallow water. There is an an outcropping of staghorn coral 100' or so north of the building, roped off but you can get pretty close to it; it's the only staghorn I know of that is accessible from shore on the island. There is a restaurant and bar there, although I have never gotten anything there besides a few cervesas so I cannot attest to the food selection or quality.

There's no day charge but they of course prefer that you buy something. It's a bit off the beaten path; every time I have been there there were only a few other people there. There are no bouncy float toys, parasailing boats, jetskis, pod people, loud gringo music, etc., all of which are pluses for me. It's just a funky little beach club with a friendly staff.

It's a little south of Chankanaab.

i could not agree more with bigtank58 post. the only caveat i might add is that hotel coz has switched ownership i believe and i have heard prices "may" have increased. so it "may" not be as great a deal as it once was. i am in canada though, and we get different packages offered here, so it may be different for people booking from other countries.

the whole AI thing is a long subject. many people love them. many hate them. it depends on what you priorities are.

if you are not a picky person about food, you are looking for convenience, and this AI checks all the other boxes like location, proximity to diving, beach, etc etc then an AI can be a great option with little stress.

if however, you would sacrifice proximity to the reefs for example, because you want to be closer to town and all the restaurants it has to offer etc, then maybe you need to look elsewhere. but you would be giving up the beach.

we have travelled a fair bit to different locations and we have done AI, condos, regular hotels etc.

we love hotel coz for the same reasons bigtank58 has pointed out. it has a great pool, great brkfst, it has been cheap enough in the past, and is close enough to town, that we can go out for dinners and it doesn't break the budget. good shallow shore dives. dive op on site. but it does not have a beach. for us that was not a big deal.

i think it also depends on how long you are staying. for shorter stays of one week for example, an AI is great. convenience might be the top priority. especially if you are not familiar with the area and what it may have to offer.
but if you are staying 2 weeks or more, i would hesitate to stay at an AI for that long. you will get sick of the same things over and over again. there is plenty of time to explore and find things you like. convenience is not really that important anymore. for longer stays we much prefer a condo with a kitchen etc

We have stayed at Iberostar and Occidental Grand. Food is so so. Watch out for sand fleas on the beach.
If food and ambiance are priorities, Cozumel Palace is fabulous (book thru Costco or a site other than resort) close to town. Grand Park Royal and Fiesta Americana have great food. All properties are ocean view rooms, man made beaches

We have been coming to Coz since 1979 and have stayed everywhere. We now prefer to stay in town close to all the great restaurants. Have fun whatever you choose

jbjclj, can you say more about booking the Palace through Costco? Thanks.

Just go to Costco website and put in Cozumel Palace. i think it was $226 for 2. Top shelf bars in room. When we stayed there, I booked thru an offsite that many Palace members sell their timeshares and I can't remember who it was

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom