• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Secrets Resort Cozumel

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Jeannie Knierim, Jan 11, 2021.

1. cobra269

cobra269 Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  2. ScubaJCBS

ScubaJCBS Live to dive! Dive to live! ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have stayed at the mentioned Secrets location several times. The latest time was the 2nd week in Dec 2020. The pier was still out but the golf cart took us to the pier everyday to dive. The food is good. The pools are very cold from Nov until Mayish not a lot they can do about that. Service is great! I think if your there to have a good time you can, if you are there to be a travel critic you can find a lot to complain about. We had the van service pick us up and take us to the airport I think its Qstar may be they can tell you at the front desk if you call its the service that Secrets uses. We did get a taxi this time to take the 6 of us to the shopping area's and the Tequila factory. Last time we rented jeeps both worked fine. If you have any questions don't hesitate.

3. Jeannie Knierim

Jeannie Knierim Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thanks for your input! Based on your description, I think we will be fine. I do wish that the entry into the water was not rocky! I love when I can go into the ocean without rocks, but I also know that the rockier areas usually mean I can see some fish when I snorkel. This trip is about enjoying the water just the 2 of us--diving, snokeling, etc. With that said, my husband expects the convenience of grabbing a drink if he feels like it and having a good dinner--it doesn't have to be fancy just good flavors--I would say equivalent to a $20-$30 entree at home.

4. lamarpaulski

lamarpaulski Solo Diver

Rent a car. There’s great exploring and Also, there’s great restaurants in town. Really great.

Mattom likes this.
  5. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Cabs are so CHEAP and your helping the taxi drivers and their families by using them and tipping modestly!

Coztick likes this.
  6. loudives

loudives Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    BTW the beach from secrets runs north about 800 yrds in front of Sunscape then stops at old coral rock. Going south it goes for over a mile past residential condos and homes down to party beach so there is nice long walking beach.
    Taxi are cheap if your in town, but secrets is 14 kilometers south of town and taxi runs 15 to $20 each way. So $40 for taxi plus $ for dinner that you already paid for at Secrets, gets a bit pricey.

If you rent a car make sure you get insurance, your USA insurance is no good there. Cars run anywhere from $10 a day but adding insurance can run another 30-50 a day. ISIS rents with all ins. starting at $35 a day and nice people. Make sure you slowly video the car before you drive off and check that the plates and spare/jack are there. Many rental places will ding you for dents, scratches, cracked lens etc. where video will prove already there before you.

If you did not get advance airport transfers you can buy tickets at airport for the 15 passenger shuttle I think it was 7 or $8 per person. No taxi allowed to pick up at airport. But you can walk out of airport to the corner of 65th street and get a cab next to car rental stores about 2 city long blocks away. May get heavy with dive gear and the sidewalk is not good for bag rollers walk in street is better. afraid of covid 19 you would have to make arrangement in advance for some kind of private shuttle or do the walk for a taxi and that's a $20 fare to Secrets.

With all the Restaurants between the 2 resorts you have plenty of menu choices. Remember if you did not like what you had for dinner you can order again or go to another one and eat there also. It's all you can eat everywhere.
    Tip from wife -- Bailys in the coffee is very good

7. loudives

loudives Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Oh just remembered you probably got some kind of resort credit for booking. Use that for a 24 hour car rental to see island and dinner at EL Moro. Not a fancy place, hard to find due to one way streets and back in the "hood" but good plentiful food. do search on the board and google.

Jeannie Knierim likes this.
  8. Jeannie Knierim

Jeannie Knierim Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thanks for the tip about El Moro. Will definitely try to check it out!

9. BRT

BRT not a soft touch

We like diving Playa Corona. 30-35' with beautiful small coral and caves and swim throughs. There is a big coral head right in front which is nice but we head out and a little north until we hit the little wall and follow it until turn pressure and then return. Treat it like overhead because of boat traffic but if you stay near the wall you can quickly go fairly shallow and out of where the boats usually are.

10. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I would recommend cabbing it to El Moro. Also, it's closed on Thursdays.