Secure storage of scuba gear in truck bed?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yarik83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon all.

Moderators if this belongs in a different forum please feel free to move.

I just bought a 2008 4x4 toyota tacoma with 61 inch x43 and 53 (at widest point) bed. Car has 4 doors so bed is shorter.

Upon leaving the dealer I headed over to a bed cover store to get a general idea of what I could get. Cheapest option seems to be a lockable vinyl cover for $400 and $80 lock.
I, however, think that my money is probably best spent elsewhere and on other things. I do not need the cover all the time but when I do I need my scuba gear to be secure in the car.
Other option is to purchase a metal tool box of sorts but those are also crazy expensive. I am looking to get something for maybe $100 or so.

So far the cheapest solution that I found is to purchase a lockable rubbermade container and drill 2 holes in it and bolt that thing to the car using quick release nuts. I would prefer to have as much space in my truck as possible because during normal week I will be taking my mountain bike to trails and it already takes up a lot of space there.

I am sure that half the people here own a truck and have come up with similar questions. Have you guys found a way to do this on a budget and if so could you please share? Thank you much.

When I had a truck a lockable rubbermaid type container was all I used. As long as you are just transporting to and from diving, you don't need to do anything more than make it seem like a little work. You could also get a tunneau cover. They roll up when you need the bed, help your gas mileage, keep stuff somewhat dry, and keep stuff out of site.

I also locked my tanks with chains around the valves to a heavy wooden tank rack I made.

When I had a truck, I learned to only take what I would need, unless the spares would fit in the cab. Then, you can't let the truck out of your site, unless you are diving, in which case the bed is empty.

I bought a Chevy Avalanche. It has a locking cargo area. :wink:

I had pretty good luck with a lockable container bolted with hinged latches to the bed of the truck. I slid it up near the cab so as to be more or less out of sight.

Six tanks and gear for three divers does not hide in an F-150. I looked at the fiberglas top covers, and besides the expense, they don't load-unload prticularly well. Fabric or plastic offers no security. Our security is somebody always watching the gear. We eat out on the patio at Ruby's in Pompano, for instance.

One suggestion on this board years ago was to remove all dive stickers or emblems from your vehicle. They tell thieves "Expensive toys inside!"

Yep. That is a double edge sword. If you put something in the bed of the truck... even honest people take a peek. There is no telling at which point security becomes a red flag.

Now as I was walking around my truck I had an idea. Out of sight... out of mind. What if I create a fake bottom? Last time I went to home depot I recall seeing something like this "Corrugated Fiberglass Panel"

I figure it looks a heck of a lot similar to truck bed ligning, especially if painted black. It has a rugged look and is wavy, somewhat replicating truck bed lining. I figure if I used one of those rhino lining spray things I could make a fake bottom and raise it half of foot and it will look as if bed is completely empty. What do you think?

Yep. That is a double edge sword. If you put something in the bed of the truck... even honest people take a peek. There is no telling at which point security becomes a red flag.

Now as I was walking around my truck I had an idea. Out of sight... out of mind. What if I create a fake bottom? Last time I went to home depot I recall seeing something like this "Corrugated Fiberglass Panel"

I figure it looks a heck of a lot similar to truck bed ligning, especially if painted black. It has a rugged look and is wavy, somewhat replicating truck bed lining. I figure if I used one of those rhino lining spray things I could make a fake bottom and raise it half of foot and it will look as if bed is completely empty. What do you think?

If you could make fake cow manure and put it on top of that, nobody would go near.

One consideration is heat. We had a Princeton tec 8AA cell flashlight that craked open after being in a dive bag in the truck bed. Florida heat plus Charles law.

Last edited:
hmm... thats something i did not think about. Providing we always park in a car garage but still.. on the way to/from site.. thats a 4 hour haul.

I'm thinking gear stored in a "lockable rubbermade container" in the bed of your truck may not be that safe.....I'd rethink the gear situation......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom