• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Securing A Rebreather In A Vehicle

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by AdamSa, Nov 18, 2019.

1. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Is laying it down that big a deal? I just lay mine down amongst the tanks and the tanks keep them from moving. I'm almost always driving 2 rebreathers around

AdamSa likes this.
  2. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    A well packed scrubber should make this not much of a problem, but I have always been concerned about doing that on the way to the dive site. I worried about potentially promoting channeling, especially with an axial scrubber (a long bumpy drive could possibly cause the sorb to settle more, leaving a gap along the wall). Of course, the reverse would be the case with a rEvo which has the scrubbers at 90 degrees to "conventional".

It sounds like the OP was more concerned about the ride home, if there was undrained water in the can. Of course, you have just spent a few hours with the rebreather in the same orientation, so if you had significantly flooded the loop this probably would have been an issue with the head sooner.

AdamSa likes this.
  3. PfcAJ

PfcAJ Orca

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Strapped upright in the bed of my truck with a ratchet strap.

4. Doby45

Doby45 Do I have something in my teeth?

Yeah, but it is an RB80 which is basically as hard to tear up as chunk of fire wood in the back of a truck.

RB80.JPG

5. rjack321

rjack321 Captain

And requires a forklift to load into the truck

6. PfcAJ

PfcAJ Orca

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Its a feature, not a bug...

Doby45 likes this.
  7. Valyngar

Valyngar Nassau Grouper

Also good tip is to have hard wood board under jj to stabilize it. Then it doesn't move around so much

AdamSa likes this.
  8. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Adam...

I had two 1 1/2'' ratcheting tie-down straps with vinyl covered hooks on each end...

Poly-tarp a portion of your back seat...

One hook from each strap on either side harness ''D'' ring...each strap over the top of the rear seat...attach opposite end strap hooks the ''child restraint'' tether lug(s) on rear of seat...snug up the ratchets...

If your rebreather is accumulating water between dives...you may want to tighten up your pre-dive checklist and pre-dive procedure protocols...other than slight condensation moisture...and a little spittle...you have a leak that needs to be addressed...

W.W...

AdamSa and rjack321 like this.
  9. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

^ Important

AdamSa and rjack321 like this.
  10. AdamSa

AdamSa Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Exactly this. I have never found more than a few ml of water in the can, i’m just very new to this and Wanted to be sure i’m doing the right thing!

To be honest i did not give the scrubber packing much thought, however, after a very bumpy ride and 2 ferry rides in relatively rough seas, the scrubber nut only turned a further quarter turn, so I should be alright.