See through skirts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Backstory below.

Not a rhetorical question:

Why aren't clear skirts encouraged as a safety feature for team diving / guiding / situational awareness?

Sure I get black is cool, and the glare is bothersome... but why isn't having peripheral vision a worthwhile factor in mask design particularly for tec diving?

With a clear skirt I can turn my head 40° and see my feet. Can recognize my buddy in a 200° field of view without moving my head. I can spot overhead hazards and I see more sea life.

Backstory:

After 23 years I'm retiring the black skirt ovel mask (I was the second owner, the skirt is disintegrating). It gave me a nice dark sunshade for my eyes and tunnel vision blocking out distractions. Effective blinders with a 50° field of view.

CSC_0415-01-01.jpeg

After try diving ~35 masks I chose one I'll put a couple hundred dives on to see how I like it. Quite opposite ends of the spectrum. Soft skirt, low volume, clear silicone, moulded nose.

FB_IMG_1540163410430.jpg

Attachments

• CSC_0415-01-01.jpeg
    CSC_0415-01-01.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 49
I have found that very low volume masks have the same field of view no matter the color of the skirt.

I've gone back to typical masks in the pool and I hate them.
Well that is by far the phrase I have read today that is most open to interpretation. Anyone want to start a poll on what everyone considers a typical mask? I haven't a clue. :wink:

Well that is by far the phrase I have read today that is most open to interpretation. Anyone want to start a poll on what everyone considers a typical mask? I haven't a clue. :wink:
Knock yourself out. There's only a handful of molds, the majority made in Taiwan, like most scuba gear. Some people think a different brand name changes the design. They pay for it too.

Anyway, it should be pretty evident that Panorama mask is unique in design compared to most masks out there. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom