See your accommodation's WIFI speed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a hard time believing the numbers. My experience on the island is that regardless of the published and local test speeds the actual throughput on the island is somewhat limited. I believe the primary problem lies in congestion with the two primary providers Telcel and Cablemas. They both seem to have over subscribed the actual bandwidth they have available onto the island. At times it is humorous but more often frustrating. I am an early riser and the difference in download speeds seen at 0550 and 0610 is extreme. I run either Cablemas where I stay or Telcel (TMobile phone configured as a hotspot) and of the two Telcel gives me better and more reliable connection speeds but then again often it slows to a crawl and I have to swap to Cablemas.

The numbers are crazily low aren't they? I test at home at 119 mbps, I new my wifi was slow in Cozumel, but yeah, those numbers are reaaaaaaally slow! I'll run their test next time I'm there.

I have FIOS in N Texas and often in the afternoon and early evening the actual throughput slows to a crawl, basic things like Scubaboard take unusually long to load and the TV picture begins to 'pixelate' but then if I do a speed test I have miraculously good bandwidth available.
My personal conspiracy theory is that the ISP's are well aware of the various speed test URL's and the systems are programed to prioritize those connections for marketing reasons.

I can verify the PAID wifi at Park Royal is 10 up and 10 down. Was only $29 for a week last year and WELL worth it compared to their "free" wifi.

I have FIOS in N Texas and often in the afternoon and early evening the actual throughput slows to a crawl, basic things like Scubaboard take unusually long to load and the TV picture begins to 'pixelate' but then if I do a speed test I have miraculously good bandwidth available.
My personal conspiracy theory is that the ISP's are well aware of the various speed test URL's and the systems are programed to prioritize those connections for marketing reasons.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's a well-known and published fact. There are sites where you can download sample/empty files of very large sizes. This will confirm your "true" speeds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom