seeing as it seems to be hard to find vids of single tank sm.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
here is a short vid for those thinking of trying single tank sm in open water. maybe useful, maybe not. if nothing else it will give some of you something to do on new years eve day. here is your chance to tear it apart. haha

shot in Curacao earlier this month. our first trip there. i posted a review in the travel section if anyone is interested.

Looks legit to me. Trimmed out nice. I do the same. And have my R side rig on standby when the op is sm friendly. I use a cam strap with a triglide and leash. Easy to swap tanks that way.

That’s a nice big pouch, what kind is it?

it was from dive gear express. i bought it when i first tried sm. never used it until now. don't really need it for the amount i dive sm but i thought.....i bought this thing......maybe i should try actually using it. haha i had two lights in it, my compass (if it probably was not going to be needed), SMB, spool, small knife. it actually expands bigger if you need it for a spare mask etc. it even has a spot to store a eezcut line cutter on the outside of the pouch. only suggestion i would have made to them was to put either some bungee loops or small rings to clip things to inside the pouch. like they do on most dry suit pockets. i added the s/s split rings and bolt snaps.

DGX Gears Horizontal Expandable Zipper Pocket

can you post a pic of how you have your regs setup since that is a big discussion point for stsm

stsm ??

don't have any handy. maybe could at some point later. basically i was using a standard DIN valve. so i had to loop the bungee around the valve handle (post was too short) with the regs away from me on the outside instead of against my body. i was using scubapro mk25 1st stages with s600 2nd stages. short hose w/elbow and necklace straight up and around my neck. 5 foot long hose looped up and down the tank held by two tank bands and a basic elastic octo holder on a loop of cord around the tank neck. because the 1st stage was on the outside, the spg was also on the outside. no biggie for ow. i am sure the cavers would not want this but worked fine for me. was actually pretty easy to reach back and see the gauge. lp inflator hose run off the 5th port. was gonna try it on a port off the turret but it worked fine this way.
a picture would have been easier..... :)

stsm-single tank sidemount

when I have that setup, I use a 7' hose put the octo around my neck per normal, but breathe off of the long hose. Gives me primary donate and a bit less things to get hung up on with a second stage on the bottle. Basically same regulator setup as what you have, just with the long hose routed next to the short hose and long in my mouth

I run mine the same as rick, works with yoke as well, so I don’t have to worry about din wherever I go. All my stages have the 2nd in the same place as this rig, so I don’t mind having it tucked in there. It’s easy and muscle memory to go get it. But I do like the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom