Seeking advice regarding high end regs also for tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13 that is great to know, I’ll ask for five foot, Rubber hose for second stage. I’ve heard the flex braided hose can hide hose defects as they age.
What length did you choose for the bungee second stage? And off center inflator?
I think you’ve mentioned that you now dive doubles, side mount? But advice/suggestions welcome from your previous bcd experience.

@caveragle i hope you can give me some advice on this setup;
i am about to get two of the $199.00 Black Friday scribble regs by deep six so i can put both second stages on one DIN first stage and dive with HP80 steel tank for about $400, and have a spare first stage for building a second reg set later.
I have heard before your suggestion of the long hose for second stage with backup second stage on a bungee. Since i am 5’2”, is there a way to know what hose lengths to order from Deep6 without trying them on?
I saw the link to DGX D6, but I’ve read elsewhere that the DGX deep 6 is not exactly the same as that sold by Deep6 website, do you know what differences might be?
I am not going Tech, saltwater deepest 80feet, with an offcenter (wing/freedom plate )inflator hose.
Any thoughts on this?

I like how Dive Rite sets up their “streamlined” ow package, although I have found a 20” inflator hose often works better and keeps the hose lined up with the inflator better.

Dive Rite ow set...
  • One { 40 in | 1.0 m } Reg Hose for the primary
  • One { 22 in | 56 cm } Reg Hose for the secondary
  • One { 22 in | 56 cm } BC Inflator Hose
  • One "Thin" SPG with { 26 in | 66 cm } HP Hose
  • DIN to Yoke Spin-On Adapter, Necklace, S/S Bolt Snap, DIN Cap

If you choose to go with either a 40”, 5’ or 7’ hose, then add a 90* elbow. With the 40” hose you just route it from under your right arm. With either the 5 or 7’ hose, you go under the right arm, and around your neck. The 90* elbow makes it easy to keep the hose in position and not bind or tug when you turn your head.

Your choice of myflex, or rubber hoses can also make a difference. Dive Rite package has a 22” hose for the backup second stage, and I think this is typically a myflex hose. This Is ok, but you might want it a little longer if using rubber hoses that are typically stiffer.

@Marie13 that is great to know, I’ll ask for five foot, Rubber hose for second stage. I’ve heard the flex braided hose can hide hose defects as they age.
What length did you choose for the bungee second stage? And off center inflator?
I think you’ve mentioned that you now dive doubles, side mount? But advice/suggestions welcome from your previous bcd experience.

My single tank regs are in my car. I’ll have to dig them out tomorrow to check length. I have all rubber hoses. I still dived single tank a good bit this year. We’ll have to see for next year.

If you choose to go with either a 40”, 5’ or 7’ hose, then add a 90* elbow. With the 40” hose you just route it from under your right arm. With either the 5 or 7’ hose, you go under the right arm, and around your neck. The 90* elbow makes it easy to keep the hose in position and not bind or tug when you turn your head.
Deep6 had a 360 swivel ball bearing on their website (out of stock at the moment) is that an option or is there a source for 90 degree that you mention?
I’m not sure about the around the neck wrapping position of the 5 foot hose, as I’d have a bungee second stage back-up there and that’s a lot of stuff wrapped around a very short neck.
By the way, that is why i am going for HP80 steel tank, it is shorter than Al80

Deep6 had a 360 swivel ball bearing on their website (out of stock at the moment) is that an option or is there a source for 90 degree that you mention?
I’m not sure about the around the neck wrapping position of the 5 foot hose, as I’d have a bungee second stage back-up there and that’s a lot of stuff wrapped around a very short neck.

I’ve got the long hose coming under right arm, across my torso, and around the back of my neck. My secondary is bungeed. There’s no issue.

ETA: just saw about the HP80s. :D You’re diving my setup. I love my dwarf tanks. Four of mine (I have eight total, four singles and four doubled up) are named after dwarves from the Hobbit since they’re short and fat. They’re the ones that are my doubles now, so I call them my dwarf dubs. :D

I’ve got the long hose coming under right arm, across my torso, and around the back of my neck. My secondary is bungeed. There’s no issue.

ETA: just saw about the HP80s. :D You’re diving my setup. I love my dwarf tanks. Four of mine (I have eight total, four singles and four doubled up) are named after dwarves from the Hobbit since they’re short and fat. They’re the ones that are my doubles now, so I call them my dwarf dubs. :D

What are you calling fat? You should see

Underwater World Diving Cylinder Faber 12 Ltr Dumpy 232 Bar Cylinders

In metric terms this is a 12 the height of a 10 but the diameter of a 15.

The choice of ball-swivel or fixed 90*. (Or 110*), is very personal. Some people really love the more flexible ball swivels, but some think they are failure prone, and add additional failure points. I have never actually used or serviced a ball swivel, so I really have no opinion on them. **if you do a search on Poster Tbone, you should fine some of his commentary and opinions.

I have been happy using both the fixed 90*. And the similar 110* swivel/adapters. For running a 40” hose up your chest, the 90* is probably best. When using the 5/7’ hose around your neck you can use either. For some reason the 110* version is a few $ cheaper if that matters at all.

It’s really hard to understand how wrapping the reg hose around your neck works and feels until you have tried it. As Marie13 said, there is no issue with the neck bungee.

I actually like the feeling of having be hose routed around the neck (sounds weird, I know). ...but I get much less of the feeling like my reg could get pulled from my mouth by current, or an errant fin kick.

Swivels and Elbows | Dive Gear Express®

Any thoughts on Apeks Tek3 regs?
Very nice regs. 1st stage hose routing is very clean, although some may consider the bends a little tight. That said, I've never had an issue, particularly with the quality of the apeks rubber hose. 2nd stages are xtx50 which breathe very nicely and are easy to service. System performs well throughout all depth and temperature ranges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom