• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Seeking advice regarding high end regs also for tec

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by Moodiver, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Frogkicker

Frogkicker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  2. divad

divad Solo Diver

I had a ball-swivel fail far from shore, switched to fixed 70 degree elbow on 5ft. hose routed under R arm and around neck (very comfortable), and eventually switched to a 7ft. hose (No Swivel/single tank) that I'm still using with doubles.

This swivel kit has too many parts for me. This fixed 70" elbow is just right. Only one more captured O-ring
    osi-ok-s_1_1.jpg DX-70420_1.jpg

James79 and Bubblesong like this.
  3. azstinger11

azstinger11 Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Appreciate it. Saw a deal for a doubles set up (2x 1st stages, 2x 2nd stages) of this variety on Facebook Marketplace for $500 and was strongly considering it.

4. Scott

Scott Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Good setup if you’re going to use it for doubles. That’s what it was designed for.
    If you ever see your self going to Sidemount, the configuration doesn’t work well.

5. azstinger11

azstinger11 Barracuda

Currently my only plan is for doubles. Are there regs that are more capable of being adapted to either sidemount or doubles?

6. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

Apeks XTX50 with the first stage with the rotating turret. I’m bad and can never remember the name for it. I used mine for SM and now for BM doubles. The fifth port on the bottom of the first stage really helps with hose routing.

7. Graeme Fraser

Graeme Fraser Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That sounds like a good deal. If I was State side I'd probably snap it up if they're in reasonable condition.

8. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Any reg with a turret and 5th port will be suited to both backmount doubles and sidemount.

The Tek3's really shine on traditional rebreather setups with oxy/dil valves down on the back. Some people get uppity about hose bends with the Tek3's on backmount. It's not a real issue.

Graeme Fraser likes this.
  9. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    DST?

buddhasummer likes this.
  10. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I am not really a big fan of mixing and matching, mostly due to the unequal availability of service, especially outside the US. I have used Poseidon products for decades; swear by them; and have serviced them. That said, two-thirds of their current regulator line, the Jetstream and XStreams, can be easily interchanged, without an issue -- similar guttiwuts; that, and the conventional IP as most other brands, etc. I began on the Cyklon 300 (still active, now on a bailout bottle), with a far higher IP (12.5 bar / 152 psi versus the more conventional 8.5 bar / 123 psi); and those cannot be readily combined, as previously mentioned in this thread, with other brands. One of the two, will always breathe like crap. An old colleague of mine combined a Cyklon with a decent Scubapro second stage, and couldn't understand why that safe second functioned so very poorly.

My advice to most clients, is to stick to one brand . . .