Seeking Camera Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, need some advice...looking at a Sealife DC 2000 with either a Sea Dragon 3000 lumen photo/video light or strobe. Had previous camera set ups with 1 or 2 strobes but not a great photographer and fed up with "fishtail shots. Wondering if I should consider video light only or video light and a strobe or just a strobe?

Honestly, I find strobes better than lights for photos if you want to avoid fishtail shots. Strobes fire and catch them by surprise rather than the lights which you have to turn on and keep on. They tend to veer away from the lights this way and the strobes will be brighter than lights anyway so you won’t have to get as close to potentially scare them and have them start swimming away from you aka the fish tail side. :wink:

Honestly, I find strobes better than lights for photos if you want to avoid fishtail shots. Strobes fire and catch them by surprise rather than the lights which you have to turn on and keep on. They tend to veer away from the lights this way and the strobes will be brighter than lights anyway so you won’t have to get as close to potentially scare them and have them start swimming away from you aka the fish tail side. :wink:
Thanks-I really appreciate this. I often see one strobe and a light. Would this also scare the fish away?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom