Seeking council Tuamotus (Society Islands), Taveuni (Fiji) & Vanuatu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennifer Milton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning a trip In August to Tonga to see a friend and whales :) I have several weeks out there and have been reading up on other amazing dive spots and so far have come up with Tuamotus, Taveuni and Vanuatu as possible other spots. I am a new diver, have 12 dives (Bali, Cozumel, Cenotes in Tulum) and am thirsty for more!

I would love to hear any advice or suggestions on favorite dive spots (and operators) in the South Pacific

I have PADI. I have read that it is not recognized in French Polynesia and I will need the French equivalent?

Thank you Scuba Board!

Of the places you have listed, the Tuamotos is the most advanced diving and probably best left for a future dive trip when you have additional experience. If it were me and you are coming from Tonga, I would choose Taveuni. Gorgeous island that in addition to diving has some other land based things to enjoy- Great diving, great people, great culture, great food. There are any number of decent dive operators on Taveuni.
Here are a couple links to get you started: Ecotourism and Adventure on Taveuni Island, Fiji and Home

Tuomotus are more advanced dives and having been to Taveuni Fiji (actually Matangi), the diving around Taveuni is overall better IMO. You would however see different things in Fiji/Taveuni versus FP/Tuomotus. The best dive I have ever had was Yellow wall and Noel's wall which are near Taveuni but from Taveuni a fairly long boat ride. I would recommend Taveuni noting that I have not dived Vanuatu.
If you stay on Tavenui, make sure to see Bouma park and the waterfalls. Go on a day where the kids don't have a free admission day.

If you decide on Taveuni, check out Nakia Eco Resort and Taveuni Ocean Sports. We have been there several times and the TripAdvisor reviews are accurate.

Of the places you have listed, the Tuamotos is the most advanced diving and probably best left for a future dive trip when you have additional experience. If it were me and you are coming from Tonga, I would choose Taveuni. Gorgeous island that in addition to diving has some other land based things to enjoy- Great diving, great people, great culture, great food. There are any number of decent dive operators on Taveuni.
Here are a couple links to get you started: Ecotourism and Adventure on Taveuni Island, Fiji and Home

Thank you so much for your input I have shifted focus to Fiji :) I rely on the advice of more experienced divers. There are so many options and so many ways to make poor decisions. Thank you!

You have all convinced me to look at Fiji. I will check out the link now. Thank you so much!

Tuomotus are more advanced dives and having been to Taveuni Fiji (actually Matangi), the diving around Taveuni is overall better IMO. You would however see different things in Fiji/Taveuni versus FP/Tuomotus. The best dive I have ever had was Yellow wall and Noel's wall which are near Taveuni but from Taveuni a fairly long boat ride. I would recommend Taveuni noting that I have not dived Vanuatu.
If you stay on Tavenui, make sure to see Bouma park and the waterfalls. Go on a day where the kids don't have a free admission day.

Thank you so much :) Ive reached out to the gal that helps me book my travel about shifting focus to Fiji :) I will be looking into the falls, and THANK YOU on the tip about going when its not kids get in free day. Excellent call.

Whats IMO? I dont know all the lingo yet. What would you recommend I bring for this trip, for diving? I have my own fins, mask and computer. Do you guys bring your own fins?

Could I ask you suggestions on what to bring for this trip, for the dive? I own fins, mask and computer. Do you think I need to bring my fins? Also, any other suggestions on gear or any tricks and tips would be greatly appreciated. I am going solo this trip. I usually go with my more experienced diver buddy's. I see you've gone on a few dives and may have some wisdom to impart :)

Could I ask you suggestions on what to bring for this trip, for the dive? I own fins, mask and computer. Do you think I need to bring my fins? Also, any other suggestions on gear or any tricks and tips would be greatly appreciated. I am going solo this trip. I usually go with my more experienced diver buddy's. I see you've gone on a few dives and may have some wisdom to impart :)
You should definitely bring your own mask, fins and computer. If you own any other equipment, I'd consider bringing it along also. If not, the rest can be rented from the dive operator. By bringing your own mask and fins, it will allow you to get out and do some snorkeling, if desired, whenever you feel like getting in the water and not diving. Pack your mask and computer in your cary on bag. Fins will likely be too big for carry on and have to be checked. IMO is "In my opinion"

Just to clarify - the Society Islands - Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti, Raitia etc are the opposite direction from Tahiti to the Tuomotos. The societies have easy beginner diving, the Tuomotos do not - more advanced diving.

As no one else has chimed in Vanuatu diving is quite easy especially in Vila with a lot of nice shallow little wrecks. The Coolidge if you want to do a big wreck is in Santo and can be done by newer divers. Overall not super fishy but nice enough islands and diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom