Seeking input on Jordanian diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all:

I am new to these boards, specifically seeking info on diving in Jordan (Aqaba). I will be in Jordan in April or May, and am trying to decide if I should take a few days to dive there, or rather possibly add a few days onto the trip to go to Sharm (?). Would love to hear comparisons, thoughts, any other alternatives....

I am in my fifties, female, have been diving for over 12 years, with many warm and cold water dives in many areas of the world, (Galapagos, Oz, California, Florida, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico) but this will be my first trip to the Middle East. I will either be travelling alone or with my daughter, a college student who will enrolled in the University of Jordan as an exchange student, but if she comes along to Aqaba she is a non-diver. Am not looking for a scene or even necessarily to meet other divers (certainly not looking for nightlife!): just a chance to get in some good dives while in an area of the world I may not be back to for a while....Unfortunately, I don't have the time or $ for a liveaboard trip: will only have about two weeks total, and also want to spend some time in Amman with my daughter, as well as to visit Petra.

Another question: I hear the diving around Sharm is mostly shore diving. True? is entry easy? How about Jordan: mostly boat or shore? any particular tips?

Thanks!

Susan

When I was there I did my diving with

http://www.seastar-watersports.com/SeastarHome.html

They were good. Stayed at the Alcazar Hotel, not 5* but adequate. Ate at the Chinese restaurant upstairs on the left at the top of the hill! Every night that is.

Diving is all shore dives. Carried by minibus twice a day.
Like you have been around, so our view of diving should be similar. Diving is easy. No current, as shallow or deep as you want. From 30ft to 190ft at the Power Station.

All dives are guided, but with respect for experienced divers. Cedar Pride is an easy wreck, clean to penetrate. They have found a new one since I was there.

Advise you to forget Sharm. You might get the ferry to Nuweiba, but getting back may take longer than you'd planned. Want minimum four days turnaround. Same with Eilat! No prob getting in, but two days to get back out.

Petra should take two days to make it worthwhile. Wadi Rum one day. Jerash and Dead Sea another day each. All well worth seeing.

Back to the diving. Bring your own reg and computer. The rest you can rent. Better depend on gear you can trust I say.

Sharm, if you get there, is mainly boat diving. Usual two tank dives. Loadsa divers though. Aqaba is less busy. Not much nightlife in Aqaba, so should suit you.

FWIW my itinerary was:

1st day - Amman
2nd - Jerash
3rd - Aqaba, diving 4/5/6/7th
8th/9th - Petra, not great accommodation. Ate at Movenpick
10/11th - Diving again
12th - Wadi Rum

Would I go back? A resounding yes!
One other tip - if you chose to ride a donkey in Petra, be sure to get off the animal BEFORE you reach the Siq!
Their handlers, not wishing to have to travel to the end of the Siq and back again, can sometimes deliberately trip the donkey giving you a rather undignified end to your trip.

It would be a shame to miss out on the diving. I enjoyed it more than Sharm (1990).
I had seen the Dead Sea in '86, so did not return there.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

thanks!

well, timing of trip just got changed, am now going in February. Yes, we plan to see Petra (2 days), Wadi Rum, Jerash, as well as Amman and diving....

so 1 additional question: how cold will water be in Feb? I'd hate to bring exposure suit, as my luggage space will be limited, but I've heard 60's (farenheight)...if true, almost CA cold. Will whatever wet suit they rent be adequate?

I am really looking forward to it.

Sea temps should be 64 degs Fahrenheit, but there is a constant breeze blowing around this time of year, so you won't feel like hanging around in your wetsuit after a dive.

A 5mm suit is adequate.

You will enjoy it.

Seadeuce

Hey, if you're still out there, I was wondering how your trip went. I plan to go Feb 06. Where did stay, and who did you dive with in Aqaba? Comments?

SusanCinSF:
thanks!

well, timing of trip just got changed, am now going in February. Yes, we plan to see Petra (2 days), Wadi Rum, Jerash, as well as Amman and diving....

so 1 additional question: how cold will water be in Feb? I'd hate to bring exposure suit, as my luggage space will be limited, but I've heard 60's (farenheight)...if true, almost CA cold. Will whatever wet suit they rent be adequate?

I am really looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom