Seeking MILC recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarketing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It's time to upgrade from my P&S and I'm wanting to go with an MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera). There's just so many and they seem to be evolving so much more quickly than their compact or SLR counterparts, so hopefully the awesome ScubaBoard community has some recommendations.

Here's my planned usage:

• I prefer compact since I like to travel light and compact would be handier for when I go cave diving.
  • I'd like it to be good for macro, wide, low light (again caves), and video (preferably good enough to ditch my GoPro).
  • I also want it to be good for topside stuff. While portraits aren't really a goal, food photography, insect macro, landscape, action, and concerts are all very likely possibilities.
  • A good value. If the best camera is going to be $2k, that's fine, but it means I'll have to wait a bit before buying. ~$1k or less would be preferrable.
  • A hotshoe for external strobes and mics.

Also, if you think I should wait since we're nearing the end of some important product cycle, let me know. I'm great with Apple product cycles, not so much with all of the camera manufacturers.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

For stills probably the Olympus OMD-E1 is the best but sadly Olympus video is S*** it is expensive as well

I would go for the Panasonic GX7 at that price range. Look into Panasonic subsection for some pictures

Thanks Interceptor, I've been following your posts for some time, but had been thinking the mx100 up until recently, so now I'm back at square one. My topside inspiration (stuckincustoms.com) really likes the Sony A7R (expensive), but also likes the NEX-7 and NEX-6 (says 6 is better for low light which seems good for cave stuff), any thoughts on any of the Sony ILC's?

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 07:04 AM ----------

Actually, going through that first post in the Panasonic sub that you're all over is making the GX7 look like the top contender at this point. Thanks for the recommendation!

The Sony A7 series have little lens choice, the NEX are actually cropped sensor DSLR in a small body I though you wanted mirrorless?

The NEX6 with the 16-50 lens together with the Nauticam macro port 45 looks interesting for all purpose, you can attach a wetmate for semi-wide to have your 24mm equivalent and a close up lens if the 50mm of the power zoom lens is not enough. This set up is in a way similar to a compact camera.

In my opinion though the RX100 trashes the NEX6 for ergonomics and does not come far the OMD-E1 being maybe even better at wide and surely worst at macro

As I shoot video the mirrorless or ILC are not exciting for me compared to my RX100II

I guess I missed the part about the NEX not being mirrorless, so I guess what I really want is just compact, but with lens options.

So if RX100 > NEX6, where do you think the GX7 would fit in on the scale? I'll be a pretty solid mix of stills and video, above and below.

No NEX6 is better than RX100 for image quality but I do not like the rest for video I prefer the RX100.
As mirrorless the GX7 is good value for money and the video mode much better than olympus

For your intended use NEX6 with 16-50 and couple of screw on lenses seems the way to go, the GX7 is more restrictive. One issue is that the NEX6 uses the lens image stabilizer so you need one in the lens (the stock 16-50 has got it and looks good)
Once you are on land you then have additional lens choices (though not as many as the olympus/panasonic mount)

Sorry, I'm really new to the compact interchangeable lens arena so I confuse easily. How is the GX7 more restrictive than the NEX6? I'm assuming you don't mean lenses since the GX7 has access to all of the M4/3 lenses.

I meant lenses and port. You are limited to 12-35 or 14-42 none as good as the 16-50 Sony in terms of underwater use. Unless of course you want to do the whole set of lenses. For video really only Panasonic and Sony are worth something Olympus video is crap

Cool, thank you. I'm sure eventually, I'd like to get a few lenses, but to start off with I'll be limited by my budget. I like that the NEX-6 is about half the price of the GX7 these days too. Thanks again for all of your great information and advice!

The NEX line is actually mirrorless, the mirrorless refers to the mechanical operation of the camera and not the sensor size. The sensor is actually a crop sensor or better known as a DX format sensor. When buying a DSLR camera such as a Nikon or Canon, ect. they are mostly DX or FX. FX being full frame and slightly larger. Either sensor is very good but with the FX having some advantages but being more expensive. Either can shoot in RAW format which is important for later editing imho.

I have a Sony NEX-5n I'm using for a dive camera (above water have a Nikon D7000 DX sensor and a Nikon D600 FX sensor cameras). I love the picture quality from the NEX and the size is great underwater, didn't want to have the size and bulk of a full DSLR. The controls on the NEX are a little tough at times when underwater but I'm very use to DSLR stuff and those controls.

I would say chose what controls your comfortable with, the size, and price.

FWIW I have my NEX5n in a 10Bar housing and it is working well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom