Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raquelloves2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've found helpful info on this GREAT site before but never set up a profile. Looking for a dive trip in mid to end of Oct for 8-10 nights including travel from LA. Interested in Philippines and Palau as we have never gone, also dove Fiji and it was great. Finding direct flights from LA will reduce some of the journey time and then obv we will need connecting flights from there. We are open to a live aboard but also want to be able to relax without 100% diving (mostly per my other half's taste) and wifi is a concern. So a nice hotel with access to great diving is also an option. We have a special needs son and a business so we need to be reachable or at least able to check in morning and night. The idea of completely unplugging is VERY appealing but not quite something that could be our reality right now. ;-). We've done about 100 dives in Hawaii, California, Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Riviera Maya, Cenotes, Cozumel, Fiji, Bali, Turks & Caicos. Ideally we would like to go somewhere new. Anyone have a great idea or know of a trip that needs to fill some spots?! Thanks for your generous advice!

I love micro stuff, he likes big stuff sharks, rays, etc. At this point, what we're interested in seeing is GOOD stuff. Last really great dive trip was Turks and we didn't even get wet in Feb when we were in Riviera Maya. Crap weather and decided "diving for the sake of diving" wasn't worth it (they closed the bay many days we were there due to poor conditions) What's your favorite spot? I would say mine was Fiji or Bonaire to date.

I have been to many places, but I am a super fan of Indonesia. In Indonesia I think the best place to get the best of both little stuff and big stuff is probably Komodo. I would do a liveaboard so you can get south which has Mantas and some amazing macro. Luckily most places in Indo have cell reception, especially if you have a local sim card, and quite a few boats have internet wifi. I don't usually recommend it but considering your requirements a place like Wakatobi Dive Resort, although a bit pricey, might fit the bill. There are many other choices in Indonesia but you might have to fight it out for big stuff or little! Or split the trip and do 2 places :wink: Raja Ampat might be another possibility but I would check how conditions are that time of year. October is slightly in between seasons for Komodo and Raja so many boats are doing transit cruises. The good news is it wouldn't be as crowded as high season.

Palau is ok for big stuff, but diving from a hotel makes for a long hard day.

I enjoyed the Philippines but have only been to Anilao (resort/great for critter diving) and Tubbataha (boat/great for big things with a limited season). I know there are other amazing places to dive and stay....

Fiji, as you know, is great but I went on the Naia LOB so can't recommend a resort. I did stay at Lalati Resort for a couple days which was fantastic in Beqa (known for shark feeding experiences), but I would look to other parts of Fiji (Bligh etc.)for the majority of your diving.

I used to do every dive on a LOB and now, unless it is going to be a crazy good critter dive, I skip the night dive. That usually means three dives a day with a cocktail and a beautiful sunset while visiting with new friends. With short tender rides you usually have plenty of time to get dry and rest between dives. It doesn't have to be dive dive dive. Quite a few LOBs do land excursions and village visits.

I would seriously look into satellite phone rental or purchase to take some pressure off the need for connectivity. Even if promised it is never guaranteed.

Diana, thanks for your thoughtful response. How funny that you recommend Wakatobi as that has been on our list for several years. We have been corresponding with Bob. When we dove in Little Cayman a great dive master, Dotty, recommended this as her best ever dive spot. The reason we haven't booked there is due to the transit time. I don't know any way to get there in less than 24 hours + of travel time. I think that's why we were looking for a closer journey like Fiji or Philippines that has some direct flight options. Maybe I'm being short sighted though? What time of year is Wakatobi the best?

Back
Top Bottom