seeking phuket liveaboard advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi-- i am planning a liveaboard trip in phuket in early may (i know it's not the best time, but it's all i've got!) and i would love some input on the few boat options i have found so far... all are going to the similans/surin islands (including richelieu & koh bon).

anyone have experience with the "mv rina", "mv mermaid II" (both through kingfisher divers) or the "really wicked witch"?

also, only the mermaid II offers nitrox, anyone have an opinion about doing a 4-day trip without nitrox?

thanks!

scren:
"mv rina", "mv mermaid II" (both through kingfisher divers) or the "really wicked witch"?

That's quite a range. The Mermaid II is way nicer than the other 2 you mention. This is of course reflected in the price. Nitrox is getting more popular, they charge about 5U$ per fill, so it's not a huge expense.

Mermaid II Liveaboard

The Mermaid II runs 4 day/4 night to the Similan Islands/Richelieu Rock. Also has a 2 day/ 3 night to Hin Daeng, which I would really recommend, but I see you posted elsewhere that you want only the 4 day trip..

Early May CAN be a great time for a trip if the weather holds. Last 2 years it has been good. Fingers crossed.

Enjoy your diving

Jamie

You might check with Dive Master - offices in Phuket and Bangkok. It was only a few dollars more than a less expensive outfit I used but more than worth every penny. The food was great and the service was ever better. They offer nitrox now as well and I believe they have openings in the early May 2006 trip to Similan - Richelieu. I was favorably impressed with them - in fact went on three different trips with them. I think their trip is 5 nights and 4 days - four dives per day.

Hey Scren, I was on the MM2 last February and had a great time. I took both trips: south and north. Both were equally great. I personally would not take any liveaboard trip without nitrox availability: you're just doing too many dives a day and your nitro absorption will start to affect subsequent dives. The MM2 has it and I think it was 3 bucks a tank when I was there, although I think it may have went up a bit. I love Thailand and hope to make it back there winter of '07.

Back
Top Bottom