• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Seeking suggestions for "best diving" + "most affordable" dive destinations!

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by GR8FUL, May 8, 2019.

1. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    True story....

chillyinCanada and Wingy like this.
  2. Ministryofgiraffes

Ministryofgiraffes Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  3. Boglefish

Boglefish Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Just did a dive trip to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt. I have to say I was quite impressed with the diving. I dove with Camel Divers and the daily trips, boat, food was quite good. Also very affordable. Will write trip report soon.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. GR8FUL

GR8FUL Nassau Grouper

Looking forward to reading your TR as I'm considering this exact same trip. Here's hoping "soon" is really soon, and that you list cost of major expenses (diving, accomodation, average cost of meals, etc.).

5. diveUAE

diveUAE Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Having dived red sea north (Wrecks and Reefs), I would say, I'm not impressed. We saw NO sharks (as in zip, zero, none) - we were told it was very rare to see them. Viz was stunning though and reef looked healthy most places.

In Sudan we did see hammerheads, silky, grey and white tip reef sharks, so if going to red sea I would suggest go south.

But with 3-4 weeks? I'd head for Indonesia. It's true, everything else pales after R4, but it's worth it. If you don't want the hassle of going to R4, then do Bali/Komodo instead.

6. Efka76

Efka76 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I think you should try Puerto Galera, Philippines. I have not been in so many places as you but for me it was the best diving location. Diversity of sea creatures, very nice corals, plenty of fishes. Food in PG is quite cheap, diving as well (appr. USD 24-28) per dive. Definitely it is worth to visit it.

7. Efka76

Efka76 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I dived Brothers Islands (after one monyh shark has bitten chunk of diver leg and dite was closed) and Elphinstone. I really expected to see more fishes. Corals sre very healthy but almost empty. Yes, I saw sharks (hammerheads and oceanic white tip) but i prefer big school of fishes.

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

Saw it mentioned above, I'll second it. Blackbeards in Bahamas. It's a week on a boat, camping on a boat. Good way to spend a cheap week diving. Good diving, not epic but still good. Won't spoil you for only the best in the world type of diving. Almost went back this year but had scheduling conflict.

chillyinCanada and KathyV like this.
  9. GR8FUL

GR8FUL Nassau Grouper

It just occurred to me that I should amend my initial post--yes I'm looking for good diving plus the most overall "bang for my buck" as it were, but as I'm traveling solo, a 3rd consideration would be a location where there were decent night-time options in terms of a variety of bars, restaurants, and other topside things to do besides diving. Though I've never been there, based upon what little I know I'm guessing that this last desire might move the Red Sea to the top position. Yes/no/maybe?

10. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

I immediately thought of Puerto Galera and Sabang. LOL. Lots of options there....Emphasis on the "other topside things to do". :wink:

Trailboss123 likes this.