Seeking suggestions for "best diving" + "most affordable" dive destinations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just occurred to me that I should amend my initial post--yes I'm looking for good diving plus the most overall "bang for my buck" as it were, but as I'm traveling solo, a 3rd consideration would be a location where there were decent night-time options in terms of a variety of bars, restaurants, and other topside things to do besides diving. Though I've never been there, based upon what little I know I'm guessing that this last desire might move the Red Sea to the top position. Yes/no/maybe?

No, at least not in my experience. When we were in Egypt we thought that the country was rather conservative and there weren't a lot of nightlife places - but I am sure that there are options at hotels, etc.

No, at least not in my experience. When we were in Egypt we thought that the country was rather conservative and there weren't a lot of nightlife places - but I am sure that there are options at hotels, etc.

I didn't get that sense either when we were in Hurghada and Port Ghalib. Port Ghalib has some restaurants and bars at port but nothing major.

I immediately thought of Puerto Galera and Sabang. LOL. Lots of options there....Emphasis on the "other topside things to do". :wink:

I want to make sure I'm "reading between the lines" correctly--are you referring to lots of girlie bars and readily available female companionship in Puerto Galera & Sabang??

If you are after night life, scratch Balckbeards.

Don't want to give anyone the wrong impression--I'm not looking for a place that has some crazy late-night club scene or anything. But I'd like to go someplace where there are other things to do beyond diving, and a decent selection of dive bars & laid back but good restaurants to choose from. For instance Cozumel has a some decent options, whereas when I was in Bonair I didn't find the nighttime options so compelling.

And yea, I wouldn't expect the nightlife to be too crazy aboard a liveaboard! After diving all day it's usually eat, have a few beers and crash.

Don't want to give anyone the wrong impression--I'm not looking for a place that has some crazy late-night club scene or anything. But I'd like to go someplace where there are other things to do beyond diving, and a decent selection of dive bars & laid back but good restaurants to choose from. For instance Cozumel has a some decent options, whereas when I was in Bonair I didn't find the nighttime options so compelling.

And yea, I wouldn't expect the nightlife to be too crazy aboard a liveaboard! After diving all day it's usually eat, have a few beers and crash.

You are on vacation and you should enjoy yourself. There's a lot of cultural and historical things to see and do in Egypt but Sharm El Sheik is a resort town and there is a social scene there. I think that you could probably find some nightlife in Sharm.

As far as Blackbeards, there's plenty of nightlife in Nassau if you can afford it. We actually had some wild times when we were on Blackbeards long, long ago. They sailed from Florida to Bimini in the Bahamas and we spent an afternoon and night with all their boats docked in Bimini. That was back when you could only get to Bimini by seaplane or boat. There were a few fun places to party on Bimini like the Compleat Angler (now gone) and the End of the World Bar. That was a memorable night, one passenger on our boat got thrown out of the Compleat Angler but he said that it was "a friendly throw out."

One night when we were on Blackbeards all of their boats were moored off an island that was being mined for salt for glass-making, BBs had 3 boats back then. The workers living on the island had built big bonfires out of wooden pallets and they started cooking while Blackbeards provided all the Rum Punch. All the passengers and crew and the workers mingled together and we had a major beach party. It was a fun night! But I don't know the current itinerary of Blackbeards now that they are diving the Exumas out of Nassau.

Some LOBs stop and party along the way, and others not so much.

Doc has me convinced to give Puerto Ayuro a try. I still need to talk to him about this more fully but based on his recommendations so far and a little internet research, it seems like the kind of place I like and the diving is supposed to be very good. This then comes without getting a person hooked on Indonesian diving and has added benefits of being within striking distance of a few great land based adventures.

For context to the OP, before I became hooked on Indo diving, I loved West End, Roatan and San Pedro, Belize. To me, those places were the perfect mix of good diving, walkability, nightlife/restaurants, beaching and a bit of adventure other than diving.

The fight that I will have with myself is the intense draw I have to return to Indonesia for diving vs a new adventure in South America and I do very much enjoy Latino cultures/society.

KathyV: Thx for the reply. Never having been to either, my guess is that I would enjoy spending a week each in Sharm El Sheik & Dahab areas. Very much doubt Nassau is my type of place. In my 20's & 30's I bet I would have LOVED doing a Blackbeard LOB trip, but at 50 maybe not so much. Plus I'm aiming for better/different diving than the Bahamas generally affords.

Chilly: I haven't been to Belize (primarily due to my understanding that that area of Belize is NOT inexpensive, plus I've heard the diving there is perhaps a bit overrated unless you get out to the outer reef), but in terms of the "scene", I'm guessing I would enjoy San Pedro. A year or so ago I was debating between Coz & Belize and chose to return to Coz, which I very much enjoyed. I, too, very much liked the West End vibe in Roatan, more so than Utila.

I've read a little about (including a few post by Doc) and Puerto Ayuro does sound like a really interesting option and one I would likely really enjoy. Would be very interested in finding out the particulars, specifically what's the best way to get there? Fly from USA in & out of Quito or Guayaquil and book flights from there, or book everything in advance from USA?
Spending 2 weeks in mainland Ecuador and two weeks in Galapagos sounds like a really good option...who knows, maybe I'd get lucky & find a last-minute discounted spot on a LOB headed to Wolf / Darwin!

San Pedro Belize can be done very inexpensively. We can talk about that here or in pm, if you decide you'd like more info in that regard. (I'm not a travel agent just a fanatic, lol)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom