Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
With so much discussion regarding "compliance" I find myself wondering what level of compliance the Halcyon retailers and DIR operators (dive shops that bring in the prestigious well known Instructors) and sell/market Fundies, are asked to have.

In other words, can I sell Halcyon, market and sell Fundies, etc and still dive non-DIR tourist divers on clearly non-DIR compliant profiles and practices?

catherine96821:
With so much discussion regarding "compliance" I find myself wondering what level of compliance the Halcyon retailers and DIR operators (dive shops that bring in the prestigious well known Instructors) and sell/market Fundies, are asked to have.

In other words, can I sell Halcyon, market and sell Fundies, etc and still dive non-DIR tourist divers on clearly non-DIR compliant profiles and practices?

Rob Calkins is a GUE Fundamentals Instructor and the owner of Flatirons Scuba near Denver, CO. He caters to a large variety of divers, from the vacation diver with split fins, a jacket bcd, and air integrated computer, the DIR outfitted diver, to a non-DIR technical diver. So to answer your question, you don't have to sell strictly DIR compliant gear and/or be strictly a DIR shop. :)

http://www.flatironsscuba.com/

Yes, you can.
I know some GUE instructors who are at the same time PADI instructors and work in PADI dive centre.
OTH one of shops in POland which is an official Halcyon dealer in Poland is also a dealer of Cressi
:D
Mania

well then, I think the whole thing is a big marketing ploy.

because ...how can you require the divers to be diving with only DIR divers in SP jetfins, etc, etc "compliance" forever a central issue "ha ha..WE leave strokes at the dock" and then dive a boatload of strokes for profit the next day?

and yet the shop can make money diving new divers anywhere PADI permits?

Doesn't there seem to be a "Fundamental flaw" here? The divers must commit to an oath, the DIR operators don't?

This, for me, is the true litmus test.

Don't ever rule number one me again, please.

Sorry,... I am slow on the uptake. But I eventually figure things out.
I'm hearing Smooth Operator by Sade in the background.

I was not aware that anyone had to "comply" with anything to sell Halcyon or other DIR gear. Nor was I aware that shops that sold Halcyon gear or GUE had to require divers with Jetfins, etc., etc.

Catherine, you've been around this for a while. Why are you still buying into these stereotypes? That's really all they are.

Dive shops have to stay in business. And the DIR market is incredibly small. You just can't support a thriving shop on it. Even Extreme-Exposure, Halcyon's company store, sells and rents tubing (i.e. floating down the river inner tubes) and recreational snorkeling gear right next to their DIR offerings.

The only "fundamental flaw" is in the thinking that DIR diving is fundamentally different from other diving. Really, it's just all diving.

Can't we just get in the water and dive?

catherine96821:
well then, I think the whole thing is a big marketing ploy.

because ...how can you require the divers to be diving with only DIR divers in SP jetfins, etc, etc "compliance" forever a central issue "ha ha..WE leave strokes at the dock" and then dive a boatload of strokes for profit the next day?

and yet the shop can make money diving new divers anywhere PADI permits?

Doesn't there seem to be a "Fundamental flaw" here? The divers must commit to an oath, the DIR operators don't?

This, for me, is the true litmus test.

Don't ever rule number one me again, please.

Sorry,... I am slow on the uptake. But I eventually figure things out.
I'm hearing Smooth Operator by Sade in the background..

What oath?
K

Catherine, you've been around this for a while. Why are you still buying into these stereotypes? That's really all they are.

Because, apparently, I AM stupid.

I honestly could have skipped a lot of threads, had I just had a bit more brainpower wattage going on.

suddenly, the world is crystal clear to me.

Can't we just get in the water and dive?

Oh!...NOW you just want to get in and dive..lol

seriously, I'm shocked when I think this through and all the implications for almost every debate on the subject that I have flown into like a moth into the porchlight.
man, I'm dense. ...maybe I DO need a buddy.

J.J.'s shop in High Springs sells non-DIR stuff along with the DIR stuff

i don't see it as an issue

a shop can't be "DIR" ... only people can

now if (if) the shop owner/operator is making fun of non-DIR divers while selling them non-DIR gear, that's hypocritical ... but again, a shop can't be hypocritical, only people can

personally, i don't give a rat's *** what a shop owner/operator does behind my back as long as i get good value and service from them

i'm just not that worried about what anyone much thinks of me (and that's a good thing too, let me tell you what)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom