Seen on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK - I know the pictures are pretty bad. I took snapshots from video. If they are too bad I'll put the video on Vimeo or Utube but I wanted to try this first.

At first I thought either tobaccofish or chalk bass but I'm now leaning to some kind of immature parrotfish. It was very small - probably around 2 inches.

upload_2017-3-14_10-37-8.png
upload_2017-3-14_10-37-39.png

the pics are very hard to make out. so give us the videos...

from the pics i note a couple of things that make me want to say tobacco fish, but i am not sure as it does no look quick rght
- the distinct irregular while bands on the top
- swimming just above coral rubble

Getting a better look at the tail or eye or side of the body or mouth would help. These are all quite distinctive on a tobacco fish.

It is not a chalk bass due to the white bars.

I do not think it is a juv puddingwife, again based on the white bar pattern on the back.

It looks like a juvi pudding wife to me, too. The five white bands and what appear to be specks. Hard to tell.

It is a Puddingwife, juvenile. Notice the big black spot at the rear middle of the dorsal.

Agreed - not a tobacco fish.

Based upon the body movement! Tobacco fish are more like Barracuda in that they do not bend their bodies (much). They stay straight and move about mysteriously.

Confirmed - baby puddingwife. white stripes, black spots on the back, black dot on the tail - page 216 Humann & DeLoach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom