Selayar resorts and Takabonerate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, has anybody recently been to either of the 2 resorts on Selayar island, south of Sulawesi? It looks like there are 2 resorts with similar sounding names and both appear to be German owned.

Are either one within day boat distance of Takabonerate atoll?

How does the diving compare between the East, West and Southern most parts of Selayar?

Thanks, -Andy

So nobody on here has been to either resort on Selayar?

Maybe their clientel is strictly german, but both also have english versions of their website...

How about if you go there and post afterwards a detailed assessment report in this very sub-forum!? :D:D

PS: You're really having a hard time deciding, right!??? :lotsalove:

How about if you go there and post afterwards a detailed assessment report in this very sub-forum!? :D:D

PS: You're really having a hard time deciding, right!??? :lotsalove:

Very funny lady, someday I just might go there and and post.:wink:

I actually made up my mind where to go a few weeks ago, but my first choice has suddenly stopped providing assistance when we needed it most, so no business for them and on to plan B.

And thanks to you and some Indo friends, plan B was an easy choice-Alor.

So you're saying the resort itslef dropped the ball, or was someone else doing your arrangements? I must admit the place looks really interesting, but I have issues with outfits that can't keep their act together.

So you're saying the resort itslef dropped the ball, or was someone else doing your arrangements? I must admit the place looks really interesting, but I have issues with outfits that can't keep their act together.

Hello hd, the resort that dropped the ball was not on Selayar, it was somehwere else in the vast country of Indonesia, where apparently there's a lot ball dropping going on. I guess a nice climate is a natural enemy to thorough planning and good communication. But I don't want to point any fingers-the resort in question is another German oriented operation on another island and not mentioned much here on SB. Suffice to say that like you, I only do business with people who answer mine and my Indonesian friend's phone calls and emails.

As I get older, I take things less personally and just move on when I hear crickets chirping.

Selayar looks like it could be good, depite the many negative comments about the condition of the nearer Takabonerate sites. The older, southern most operation looks like the better of the 2, but I don't know as I haven't had any contact with either of them and because I can't find anybody on SB or elsewhere who has been to Selayar recently, I decide to go to Alor instead. -Andy

Andy.....I'll be interested in your trip report....I looked at Alor last year and everything I've read is that there are some very cool to cold currents that come up in that area. There is a spot I went to a little more than a year ago called East Timor.....nobody goes there Great Diving! also have you been to Raja or Lembeh yet?

Hi Scott, no I haven't been to RE yet-not enough money right now-or Lembeh-not a great area for bigger stuff and no big advantage on CCR with the critters. But I will probably get to both places in the next year.

East Timor might have been the top choice, but it's still the rainy season during my trip window. I will certainly give everybody a rundown when we return from Alor/Bali in May. Not too worried about the cold upwellings, I'm diving CCR and that's where the fish are. It can't be much worse than the southern end of Komodo in the low season where on one dive I saw over a dozen mantas, feeding black tips and huge amounts of fish in 100ft plus viz. F'n cold though-62F'n degrees on the bottom. Guess I'll bring the 5/4 just in case... -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom