Self(ie) Coaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Pete (NetDoc) said if a picture is worth 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000. I use action cameras extensively while teaching. My first experience with that was at PDIC HQ in Scranton, PA in the 1980's when I was going through instructor training. We were videoed in the classroom and underwater so that our lectures and skills could be critiqued later by the IT's and they could catch more to fix or praise. When I did GUE classes, I found myself back on video with the rest of my team so that our instructors could give us feedback. It was a great learning tool and I adopted it with the popularity of action cameras. Video is an incredible tool for my coaching business. But, as I tell my students, once they know what to look for, they can often correct their own techniques.

Thanks to their size and affordability, action cameras can be used by almost every diver to improve his or her own diving. By watching yourself and seeing what you do right, what you do wrong, what can be improved, and what you like about your performance, your local dive spot can become a great classroom. My favorite way of doing this is to place an action cam on a surfboard mount that is attached to a lead diving weight. I set the camera on a surface such as a training platform and do various skills. I can watch the video later and critique myself.

Videos are also proof of performance. The thread about arrogance sparked this post. While performing tank removal and replace skills the other day, I shot this on first attempt doing the skill three times. The second time the skill went faster, but I moved left and right more while hovering. The third time, my hose fouled and I had to remove and replace it again to fix that hiccup. The fourth time was good, but the video ended up being saved as two files part way through and was more of a pain to edit. After 35 years of diving, I'm still not perfect. Cameras tell a tale social media posts, C-cards, and T-shirts cannot. Our performance on video is often humbling. Crap! My left fin wasn't flat at times. Need to work on that.

Very, Very impressive.

But I want to see it done with a steel twinset next time please.

Thank you, kindly. Steel tanks aren't much more difficult depending upon manufacturer, size, and buoyancy characteristics. The argon bottle for the drysuit adds additional steps. Some steel tanks are user friendly some are user nasty.

Thank you, kindly. Steel tanks aren't much more difficult depending upon manufacturer, size, and buoyancy characteristics. The argon bottle for the drysuit adds additional steps. Some steel tanks are user friendly some are user nasty.

Can you elaborate? Makes me wonder what I'm in for with my Faber HP100 doubles.

Well, as an example, I requested twin AL80's out in Los Angeles, once. They reserved twin 104's for me for an instructor course. I couldn't finesse those on. It was ugly. I have PST HP100's I can remove and replace demo quality. I don't know how the Fabers would be. They are heavier. Length, diameter, weight full & empty, how much gas you have in them, what kind of gas (air or helium?), what material your plate is, how tall are you, muscle to fat ratio, center of gravity, how tight or loose the harness is, argon bottle or not, deco bottles or not, weight of fins, can light, all of these things can either make it more challenging or easier to remove and replace cylinders and affect your trim. Some tanks just make it super hard for the best divers to look good doing it. I know this info isn't very helpful, but tanks are like golf clubs, baseball bats, handguns, etc. Different people find handling them to be a different experience.

Last edited:
Very, Very impressive.

But I want to see it done with a steel twinset next time please.

When I took PSAI TEAM with Trace(excellent course by the way!) I did this with steel hp120s and an Al40 deco bottle.

Because the weight of the steel tanks you have to leave a decent amount of air in the wing. Taking them off is no problem. Getting them back on is a little more difficult, once they are over the head the length of the 120s and the air in the wing tends to keep them wanting to stand them on end. I actually found it easier to put back on over the side. Of course when I did it there may or may have not been some contact with the bottom... :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom