Self-Proclaimed Non-Anxious Hypochondriac Seeking Advice on DCI Symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Disclaimer: My personal physician would consider me to be a hypochondriac. I tend to believe, instead, that I am simply hyper-vigilant of my physical condition. Potential symptoms of various illnesses do not send me into anxiety-ridden panic wherein I am certain said illness is inevitable but, rather, I tend to note the symptom and ask question with the intent of ruling out any particular illness.

Now, here's some information regarding my question:

On Tuesday, May 21st and Thursday, May 23rd, I completed my check-out dives for my Open Water Certification. These dives were conducted in a couple of mine pits in northern Minnesota. The water temperature for the dives was 50 °F and 45 °F, respectively. Our maximum depth was 30 ft. (likely due to the cold temperatures) and we were down for about 30 minutes. I was wearing a Farmer John and Jacket on these dives. (That's 13 mm around my core and 7/8 mm at my extremities.) Additionally, I had on 5 mm gloves and boots and a 4/7 mm hood.

[I mention all of this because my "gut" tells me that what I'm feeling likely has to do with the water temperature and not decompression illness.]

After each of these dives, my fingers and wrists were ... stiff.

Today, May 27th, I went on my first dive without instruction. This dive was to a depth of 27 ft. for about 40 minutes and the water temperature was 50 °F. Today, I was wearing a 5 mm wetsuit layered with a full-body Lavacore skin suit.

Today, after the dive ... after all the gear was rinsed and washed and hung to dry, I began feeling ... things. First it was the same stiffness in my fingers and wrists. Then a "tightness" in my chest, almost as if the muscles in my chest refused to fully expand. A stiffness at the tendon connections in each bicep where the muscle connects to the shoulder and the elbow. Is that itch crawling across the back of my neck and the top of my thigh another sign? What about the way the balls of my jaw are clenching the way they do just before you vomit? What about the mild headache and dizziness?

During none of the above dives did I feel physically cold. The thermal protection seemed to be doing it's job correctly.

So, I'm feeling all of these things. The logical centers of my brain are telling me it's likely from the cold water. From breathing shallower on land than normal. (I'm forced to change the way I breathe underwater to control buoyancy. Normally, I am a fill-your-lungs-to-capacity kind of guy.) Hauling all that heavy gear from the car to the shore. The hypochondriac part of me, however, the part that worries and doesn't want to be a hero instantly reaches for the worst-case scenario.

Even though my dive profile was well within the limits of no-decompression diving, I can't help but to think ... what if?

As someone who has never experienced even mild decompression sickness, I don't have anything to compare these symptoms against.

For what it's worth, I'm 41 years old, 5' 9" and 180 lbs., physically fit and, while not lean enough to be considered a bodybuilder, I am still quite muscular. Additionally, in December of last year I participated in three separate "Discover Sucba" dives on Bonaire. These dives went to a depth of 40 ft., but were in tropical waters. During these dives I did not experience any of the above symptoms. Though, it is fair to say that we had a much slower ascent during these Discover Scuba dives than on any of my three most recent dives. (Still, none of the three most recent dives wherein I've been experiencing these symptoms were still within the one-foot-per-second ascent rate.)

Does anyone have any advice regarding all of this rambling?

I am no doctor. But to me it sounds more like you took a mild CO2 hit from your "shallow breathing". The dizziness and nausea are classic symptoms.

You probably need to work on your breathing technique some more, don't breath shallow because it leads to exactly this.

The rest just sound like what happens when you are in cold water with lots of neoprene and are not dive fit. You can feel a bit stiff and sorry afterwards.

I'm a bigger guy and I tend to run warm, so I tend to lean towards less thermal protection than average.

40 minutes of 50 degrees in a 5mm suit would have me chilled to the core and experiencing all sorts of uncomfortable body feelings.

disclaimer: not a doctor, but the docs on here won't give you anything other can to call DAN.

That said, you likely were experiencing mild hypothermia. IMO 50f is too cold for a 5mm for most people. Despite you not feeling cold, you were, and that's all relatively normal.

Focus on your breathing as well because you shouldn't be breathing "shallow"

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Regarding the exposure protection, I don't mean to pick nits but don't forget that Lavacore layer. Holy crap is it warm. That said, you may be right regarding the temperature.

However, regarding breathing ... any advice on how to work with this? I don't feel like I'm breathing "shallow," just not full-lung capacity breaths. During our "Discover Scuba" dives, I was doing this (the full-lung capacity thing) and found myself zig-zagging all over the deep. Forty feet after exhaling, thirty feet after inhaling, back to forty feet again on the exhale. This is the kind of breath you'd do after a yoga session or during meditation (it's my standard breathing rate on land ... deep, full, breaths), but in the water my buoyancy is out of control with this.

So, I've been trying to back off of this a little bit. Is there a happy medium anyone suggests or is this a case of, "You're so used to over-oxygenating your blood you aren't ready to tolerate a little carbon dioxide?"

Thanks again!

lavacore works, but only so much. It does not solve the cold water against your skin, less exposure protection on your hands, etc etc.
Your breathing should be comparable to what you breathe when sitting on the couch or at best while walking.

You don't over-oxygenate your blood, normal blood sat is near 100%, when you breathe like that you are ridding excess CO2 which is what triggers a normal breath. I don't think that the breathing is causing problems though, CO2 headaches feel like someone stuck a knife in the base of your skull. This sounds much more like cold water exposure with a potentially too snug or stiff wetsuit.

Thanks @tbone1004 . That helps. Maybe I'll make another trip to the dive shop and have them reassess the way I'm fitting my wetsuit and sign up for a drysuit course.

I'm not an MD either.
However, call DAN and chat with them.

Personally, I'd be highly hypothermic in a 5mm+ lavacore at 50 F.

Your breathing is a problem. You want neither "yoga" deep breaths, nor "shallow" hold-your depth breaths. There is plenty of room between those extremes for good breathing. Suggestion: get in a swimming pool with scuba gear but without all that exposure protection and work on your breathing. Get that sorted out, then add on the cold water and heavy wetsuits.

As a reference I'm diving in 50*F water in a 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit, a Wheezle undergarment (essentially wearing a high end sleeping bag) with a layer of wool and fleece under that + drygloves, and a 5/7mm hood. I guarantee you the suit alone is superior to your wetsuit. I dive a 4/5mm wetsuit in the tropics. You are seriously under dressed unless you have malignant hyperthermia.

I think you have chilblains of the whole body.

I'm pretty sure that the no-deco time for a 30' dive is around 10 hours. If you can get bent on a single, less than 1 hour, dive to 30', there are a lot of hyperbaric operations that would love to examine you and put you on display, kind of like the Ripley's believe it or not freak museum.
Don't know what you had, but it wasn't DCS.

Michael

Ideally, after you get comfortable in the water you should try to have a breathing rate of 12 breaths a minute, in 1.5 seconds, hold 1,5 seconds, exhale 1 second, hold empty 1 second. While ascending breathe normally without ever holding your breath (Lung overinflation injuries).

Back
Top Bottom