Sell my Canon 6D and buy a new 6D Mark II ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Sony A6000 (in a Nauticam housing) underwater, but I shoot a 6D above the surface. I am looking at possibly upgrading sometime in the not too distant future as well.

IMHO, the upgrade from the 6D to the 6D Mk2 is not worth the cost associated with it. It is a significant cost to upgrade, but other than the autofocus, it is an incremental increase in performance. If this is used primarily underwater, then by the time you replace not only the camera but also the housing, the level of improvement you get likely would not justify the cost. If you absolutely want to upgrade, then take a look at a 5D Mk4 or even a Sony A7R3 (although this would mean switching your entire system).

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and advice and is not intended to be the "final word". Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

I agree with Hoag. It would be a lot of money for very little benefit. The image quality of the 6D's chip is awesome. If you do decide to upgrade anyway though, I'll buy your old 6D for $100! :rofl3:

I've had a 6D since they came out for landscape shooting and love it. I was kicking around the 6D2 to succeed my T2i underwater but decided that it was not worth it and went with a 5D4 which is a wonderful camera.

I sold my 7D and bought a 7D mark II, and then bought the new version of the Nauticam housing, primarily so that I could use a flash trigger. Not sure if that's the same issue with the 6D line, but that is one issue. Also, I really like the vacuum seal on my new housing.

I use the flash trigger on my 5D4 and really like it. When shooting manual I turn the power way down on it so it will recycle really quickly and the battery lasts all day. I am waiting for my second new strobe an Inon Z330. I got one a few weeks back but they come out of production really slowly so still don't have the second. The vacuum seal is awesome and makes feel much more comfortable going in.

My rule on getting a new camera is simply: the new camera must either have a new essential feature that my current system does not have, or else the new camera must have an approx. 10x improvement in functionality (i.e. low light performance, # megapixels, or similar) for the same or near same price (i.e. 10x bang for the buck).

Unless one of the above is true, the current camera is probably more than adequate. Most dive photography really doesn't exercise most of the fancy features that distinguish the latest model from older models.

My rule on getting a new camera is simply: the new camera must either have a new essential feature that my current system does not have, or else the new camera must have an approx. 10x improvement in functionality (i.e. low light performance, # megapixels, or similar) for the same or near same price (i.e. 10x bang for the buck).

Unless one of the above is true, the current camera is probably more than adequate. Most dive photography really doesn't exercise most of the fancy features that distinguish the latest model from older models.

Ten times?? You are hard to please! :D

I just got an iPhone X for my birthday, upgrade from a 7. That camera is DEFINITELY worth it. I just found out that it also makes phone calls...

Back
Top Bottom