Sell my Canon 6D and buy a new 6D Mark II ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. But that's because the cost of a new camera is almost insignificant compared to the cost of the underwater housing, and then all the other items one feels "compelled" to upgrade. :)

My first good UW cameras were point-and-shoot. Camera (new at the time) cost around $250. Housing: $650. That was for a good compact (new at the time) and an Ikelite housing in Canada (our dollar always sucks for buying stuff).

DLSR is not much better. The cost ratio is lower, and you get more camera (IMO), but you spend more overall. You can spend thousands on a pro-level body, but the housing will still be more ($4K+ for anything aluminum) Then strobes (you gotta buy new strobes, right?) etc. It's always about a 10K investment if you buy new. So for that kind of overall money, that new model camera better be super awesome compared to what I have now.

Funny thing - last fall I finally upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 7. I could not justify the cost of and X for the features no matter what I did. Heck, I couldn't even justify the 7+ cost compared to the 7. But the 7 is much, much better than the 4.

p.s. I now have a Canon 7D (mk 1) in a Nauticam housing, which I got used for an awesome price. Looking at the 7D mkII or even the 6D (which I love), there's no way either camera can justify for me the cost of a new housing. SO instead I just bought a spare 7D. Much, much cheaper.

I agree on the cost of the camera being a rounding error relative to the rest of the system. At least with something like a Nauticam housing system the only thing you will need to change if you are upgrading bodies in the same family is the housing. The ports, lenses and other extras will move forward. At some point, somebody with a 7D2 is going to want to upgrade and you will get a steal on their housing and body and integrate into what you already have. When I decided to go FF with the 5D4 I was already invested in the lenses I would need that I have been using topside for years so it was not as painful. I also am hoping that Canon will do what they did the 5D3/5DS/Rs. The body didn't change but you got a significantly different camera that could be used in the same housing. I love my 5D4 but if I can get some extra bang out of that investment I will be delighted. I am upgrading my strobes but that is so my wife can use my old ones on the T2i I am passing on to her. (at least that is what I told her!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom