Selling gear- looking for valuation advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhogan55

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having moved to the wrong side of the mountains to dive regularly I am considering selling my gear. I still dive when I can, but typically this involves flights and gear rentals in tropical locales, whereas my setup is for cold water. I have no idea how to properly valuate my setup, is anyone willing to let me know if they consider $1000 CAD (~$750 USD) to be a fair price for this setup? Too much/too little? Am I better selling piece-meal?

Thank you!

All gear purchased in 2010 and in very good/excellent condition. Approximately 50 dives in cold water (Vancouver area)

1. Regulator: Scubapro MK17/G250V with scubapro SPV and generic octo
2. BCD: Bare Blackjack w/integrated weight system. 4*5 lb beanbag weights for integrated + 2*5 lb lead weights
3. Wetsuit: 2 piece (Jacket and john) Bare 7mm wetsuit + hood, gloves and Deep Sea boots
4. Tank: Catalina AL80, hydro test valid, needs a viz inspection (both passed in October 2015)
DiveGear.jpg

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. That being said...

Tank ~ $100
Regs ~ $300
BCD ~ $250
Weight ~ $2/lb
Neoprene ~ most do not see significant value.

I am not valuing your exact items. Just a rough idea of what individual items would go for here in the classified section. You can ask whatever price you want. However, these above prices would have the items move realitvely quick if posted in the above price range. You might be able to sell items individually for more rather than selling it together as a package.

Most items sell for 50 to 60% of what you originally paid. With some slight exclusions. Most used scuba equipment doesn't hold value long term.

These are just my opinions. Some will agree, some will not. Good luck selling your stuff.

Thanks, that is useful information! One problem I have been having is most comparables are in USD, and I dont know whether to do a straight exchange or not when I list at CAD. I assume the rough prices you're suggesting are US?

I paid about $2500 CAD in 2010 for all of this, so im looking at 40% of what I paid. BUT, everything is a decade old now, and the tank needs a viz. Anyway, as I said thank you for the helpful ballpark figures!

Back
Top Bottom