selling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maractwin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for some advice about selling photos.

A regional lifestyle magazine has approached me about using some of my underwater photos in an article. As I start negotiating with them, I have no idea what customary rates are for such things.

I know that my pictures aren't what I would consider professional quality, but they've asked me and I would like to get published. Any idea what the typical range is, especially the low-end for a new photographer?

-Mark

I've no idea of the price, but the thing you have to control is how often they get to use them? 1 time use or for a period of time? Make sure you are credited in a by-line. When you send them pictures make sure you mark them as "copyright" (I'm not sure if that is necessary with current copyright laws, but it is better to be safe than sorry)

and make sure you keep your copyright - not that they use them again and again and you don't get anything for it.

As for how much to ask...I have no Idea :blush: sorry

Here is a link to the copyright laws.

http://www.copyright.gov/

maractwin:
I know that my pictures aren't what I would consider professional quality, but they've asked me and I would like to get published.

If getting published is more important than the price I wouldn't overthink it. There's a lot of very good photography out there and the chances are that they can easily find similar photos elsewhere if you ask too much.

It's not your responsibility to come up with a price. Most established magazines have standard rates for photography depending on whether it is a cover shot, full page spread, etc. I would simply ask them what their rates are instead of approaching them with the goal of negotiating. I don't know many photo editors that want to spend their day haggling over purchase prices for work that may or may not even be "professional quality". If the rate sounds reasonable, go for it. If not, don't waste your time.

I'm a graphic designer and I buy thoulsands of dollars for stockphotography on behalf of my clients every year. I'm always somewhat surprised but I've learned that even Fortune 500 companies are often unwilling to spend much money on photography given the fact that there is so much good royalty free photography available. Unless you have an established reputation or your shots are unquestionably unique in some mannner you're not going to get rich selling photos.

cdiver2:
The Copyright © alone is NOT going to protect you. I started a thread about a week ago about this obviously its not been taken serious, Read and digest.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=101460&highlight=copyright

Even with a full pfleged copyright people will dl'd images from the net, use them for their purposes (either private or business) and you most likely will never know. Unless by some freak coincidence you do find out. Then the effort and the money it would cost to persue the whole spiel would only be interesting if it is someone big and the payback would be big. A small poor slob, sure, you can make him some trouble, but you'll never see a cent.

I'm not saying not to copyright or not to pursue...I'm just saying as soon as you put your pictures out there you either have to be prepared (tums or rolaids) or live with it. Having been thru this, I can say it ain't fun.

Once a photo is copied... It can be hard to prove.

Take a look at: Digimarc

Good Luck!

ask how much you think it is worth to you....price on pictures can range...and since its your first time don't ask for more than 50 bucks a picture I would think...

justleesa:
Even with a full pfleged copyright people will dl'd images from the net, use them for their purposes (either private or business) and you most likely will never know. .

But if you publish them on the web at reduced resolution they are at least no good for printing unless you reduce their size considerably.

Back
Top Bottom