Semi Silly Question about Inner Tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. When going to Wal-mart or whereever to buy an inner tube to cut up and make bungees to hold things like lights in place, what size inner tube do you buy? The one I bought does not strech far enough to work well.

I find that the 1.75" tubes work best (for me, anyway) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and you can sometimes get em real cheap used (punctured) from the bicycle repair shop.

Quarrior:
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. When going to Wal-mart or whereever to buy an inner tube to cut up and make bungees to hold things like lights in place, what size inner tube do you buy? The one I bought does not strech far enough to work well.

Many bike shops and motorcycle shops will take a razor blade to used tubes before they put em in the trash, just to keep the "economically challenged" cyclist from recovering the tube and patching it. (80CC kids dirt bikes front tire run a pretty small heavy duty tube, might be too thick for your taste though)

Still leaves plenty of tube for your purposes though.

Regards,

Tobin

rjchandler:
and you can sometimes get em real cheap used (punctured) from the bicycle repair shop.
Or free...

One inner tube has given me enough tubing to set up several harnesses with still about 2/3's of the original tube remaining. A "new" tube only costs about $3-4 at the bike store anyway, so its not really expensive, but just ask if they have any spare tube going.

I keep one skinny one, one mid sized one and one fat one on hand. I keep a dozen "rubber bands" cut from each and about a 4" length of each in my save-a-dive kit at all times. The skinny ones are just right for small boltsnaps, the medium ones for big boltsnaps, and the fat ones for holding things like backup lights to harness webbing.
Don't know how you could do without the variety :)
---
I also use 13" auto tube for 40CF pony bottles, 14" for 7.25" tanks and 15" for 8" tanks.
Rick

Can somebody post a picture lets say of a bungeed light? I am curious how to do that correctly.

Thanks,
Andreas

hugo:
Can somebody post a picture lets say of a bungeed light? I am curious how to do that correctly.

Thanks,
Andreas
You need to undo your webbing to slide bands on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom