Sending my baby to CSU Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I am sending my youngest to Monterey to get a degree in Marine Science. He is going to do some of the dive classes there but can't until the spring since he is already a Rescue Diver. He is a very good warm water diver with excellent buoyancy skills. (I think he has close to 200 dives) He has done some cold water lake diving but no kelp/ocean diving. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a guide from the area that I can hook him up with so he can learn the ropes. I want him to have a safe introduction to Monterey. He hasn't decided if he wants to do the dry suit (like his wimpy mom) or a 7mil so we will need to get that taken care of as well. I have already given him Chucks link for info but if someone knows of a good guide please let me know! Thank you...

Last edited:
Id be happy to show him some sites. PM me if you'd like. Lots of easy places to orient one to Monterey. Im in the water often, and would love to help out.

Thanks Rob I will pass on the info to him and let you know. I know he will need to settle in first but I also know he will be itching to get in the water.

I have suggested to him to rent a 7mm set up to try out and see how cold etc. he feels first, then purchase. Is this sound advice?

If he is around 5'9" / 165lbs., he can borrow my 7mm. Ive got extra weight as well. Right now, 7mm will work ok. At depth it may be cool, say mid 50s. Surface temps are mid 60s. I imagine he would be fine for a while diving wet, though the temps can plumet to the high 40s. I used to use a semi dry suit, and when it got that cold, all I knew it to be was semi wet :/. Ill PM you my info... Hope all is well!

Breakwater Scuba rents the Hollis semi-dry suits, which I love. For me, the semi-dry is a little warmer and gives me a better range of movement.

Back
Top Bottom