Sending $$ to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccannon707

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nice thread on TA about people wanting info for sending $$ to their local friends on the island. Paypal, Xoom, Western Union and MoneyGram are discussed. I'm getting ready to send $$ to my dear friend Chef Josefina. Have done it before with Xoom. They ask for a lot of info when you register... and actually called me asking who & why I was sending $$ to Mexico. I was taken aback but answered truthfully. I think they are worried about drug deals etc... Anyway, I got the OK and sent the $$. I have sent other small amounts to friends in Cozumel thru Paypal. I know any amount will help our friends in this time. If you've got it, please share it. :heart:

I was stopped from returning home to Cozumel by United Airlines to the great joy of some who thought i was an a...hole. Regardless of the trolls, my purpose was mainly to set up pay for the loyal employees of the Villa Aldora during these crazy times. My Mexican bank, C.I Banco, refused to do anything without my physical presence. But as it turns out Western Union is working out OK so that they and their families will be OK, even if i'd rather spend my pesos at C.I Banco.

I have had zero problems with Western Union…just costs a few bucks extra. Just make sure the recipients names are exactly correct.

Dave Dillehay

I also worry about friends I have made in Cozumel. I think of how well I have been treated by the dive shop, which I know is going to be hit hard. The crew is so friendly and professional. I hate the thought of these nice, hard working people, suffering due to no fault of theirs...I realize this is going on all over the world.

I may very well have to postpone my trip in May, but I’ve sent my deposit anyway. They can keep it with my best wishes.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to go scuba diving on vacation lead a blessed life.

PayPal using the Family and Friends option, is no fee at both ends. I've used it often and it works. Sure when the recipient transfers the money to his bank account it takes an extra day or 2 before the funds are credited to his account, but it works.

Michael

I also use Xoom. The first time I sent money, they called me three times during the day with questions. Safeguards on their end, making sure your phone number is legit, and that they're dealing with the same person and you're not running a scam. Get the recipient's name exactly, and send the pickup info. The recipient can pick up that day and have cash in hand. Food has gone up since there's a shortage. Every little bit helps.

I second Dave's recommendation on Western Union - I sent some $$ down last Friday to our long-time divemaster and it worked fine.

A group of us have started a GoFundMe campaign for divemasters, captains, crew and office staff at Aldora who found their income disappear overnight.

I encourage others to start campaigns for their respective dive shops, hospitality workers and friends.

For anyone interested in supporting Aldora staff, the following is the link to the fundraising campaign:

Aldora Divers Employee Emergency Relief Fund organized by Karen Harris

I know everyone is dealing with their own COVID-19 crisis, but some areas are going to be hit harder than others. Areas that rely on tourism dollars to survive will be hit the hardest.

I consider it a privilege to give back to those who have given me so much joy over the years.

A group of us have started a GoFundMe campaign for divemasters, captains, crew and office staff at Aldora who found their income disappear overnight.

I encourage others to start campaigns for their respective dive shops, hospitality workers and friends.

For anyone interested in supporting Aldora staff, the following is the link to the fundraising campaign:

Aldora Divers Employee Emergency Relief Fund organized by Karen Harris

Love this!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Just a reminder that any fund-raising threads need to go to the forum called "Good Causes and Solicitations" to prevent forums from being over-run by threads begging for money. I told ScubaD1veDive@ that it would be OK to post a link within this thread for his/her particular fundraiser. That is what others should do also, rather than start new threads. Another option is to post in the Good Causes forum, and then add a link to your sig line so that every post you make contains a mini ad. Thanks for being considerate to your fellow board members. Marg, SB Senior Mod.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom