Sept. 19, 2020 Maple Bay Deeper Reef photos/report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't take video on that dive. Whenever I dive a new-to me spot, I take photos so I can update my website with the info. A video probably shows more info about the site, but personally I find watching videos to be a bit annoying since you're forced to absorb the info at the pace of the video. Sort of like back in the '80s when they had televised news, it was kind of annoying to watch it instead of reading the newspaper in print form where you can skim the articles at your own pace.

That is an interesting area. A fellow wanted us to search for a dropped item off his boat - the one that was moored to the right of the Govt dock furthest out. After a long swim, we dropped down his anchor line. Vis was really good that day, but we bailed on the dive at 80 ft when we could not see any bottom with our HID lights. (it was after our regular dive, so tanks were low and he'd assured us the bottom was 70-80ft. Not.)

I tried the same area again a couple of weeks later (this was 2 years ago) on my scooter, and turned around at 120 ft since it was obvious the area was steep slope but all mud bottom. Again, this was roughly 45degrees to the govt dock, starting at the dock. Your area is much further to the right along shore.

It's too bad the side scan image in Maple Bay doesn't show the area closer to shore. It starts almost at the edge of recreational diveable depths. It's also ironic that the whole bay is a rockfish conservation area even though it's mostly mud and not rockfish habitat.

It's too bad the side scan image in Maple Bay doesn't show the area closer to shore. It starts almost at the edge of recreational diveable depths. It's also ironic that the whole bay is a rockfish conservation area even though it's mostly mud and not rockfish habitat.

We see that a lot out here... where the rocks on shore just keep going out into the ocean. Transfer Beach in Ladysmith has such a feature, though I've never tried diving it (long walk to the rocky bit from the parking lots).

I won't try it this week as I'm doing Chemainus to test an equipment change, but plan to try next week (Oct 4). My plan it to follow the shoreline at around 20-25ft and turn left if I find rocks heading down.

Back
Top Bottom