Sept 2010 honeymoon trip options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you end up looking at Koh Tao as an option, I have some info on a very nice resort that is in the top five for "romantic/full service/small group diving"

Sept is usually wonderful here. There are many other options in Thailand, so have a look, but you are right to consider Silimans off limits that time of year for the most part. I'm not saying impossible, but real sketchy weather wise.

PM me if you're interested.

Not all people coming to Thailand are looking for an outrageous nightlife scene.
Krabi is blessed with lots of beautiful natural scenery including lots of green, gorgeous limestone cliffs, nice islands with good reefs and pretty beaches.

I know, was joking, I dont live inside Pattaya myself I stay in a small place nearby, Ban Amphur, on the beach, only 10 Km south from Pattaya, but what a difference 10km can make.

Isn't it nice to have such a choice. :D

September is too early for the Andaman side where, you correctly observe, the best diving is.

Krabi, Koh Lanta and Phi Phi are excellent options for you to look into. If you want other adventurous activities then there is amazing rock climbing at Rai Ley beach and Ton Sai. The diving in this region is also pretty good. I'm not sure if you can fly from Chiang Mai direct to Krabi.

Even though Koh Pha Ngan is renowned for the full moon party scene, it is a beautiful island and maybe what you are looking in for but much more difficult to get to from Chiang Mai.

Good luck

Is there a significant difference in weather conditions between the West and East side of the island of Phuket or do you have to go the East coast of the country for much better weather?

Have you considered heading someplace other than Thailand?

Philippines would most likely be a better place to visit than Thailand during September.
Thailand is a great place to visit, but that time of year leaves much of the best stuff off limits...

Have you considered heading someplace other than Thailand?

Philippines would most likely be a better place to visit than Thailand during September.
Thailand is a great place to visit, but that time of year leaves much of the best stuff off limits...

We considered a ton of places but are pretty set on Thailand now. I looked at the Philippines and Indonesia but we're only going to be diving for a few days out of a 2 week trip so it's more about the other things we can do.

Is there a significant difference in weather conditions between the West and East side of the island of Phuket or do you have to go the East coast of the country for much better weather?

The weather on Phuket won't be significantly different according to which side of the island you are on. While it may indeed rain in one area and be sunny in another area, you have pretty much the same chance of getting rained on regardless of where you are on the island.

Regarding weather conditions on the east and west coasts of the Malay Peninsula (southern Thailand), below are some stats. I'd love to encourage you to come to Phuket for your honeymoon, but your decision may rest on what the deal breaker/deal maker is for you. If rainy weather is going to spoil your honeymoon, go to the Gulf. If diving is key and you plan to canoodle in your honeymoon suite when you're not on a dive boat, come to the Andaman.

Here are some weather stats from a couple of sources.

Source 1: Thai Meteorological Department
Phuket 30-year averages for September:
Minimum temperature = 23.9 C
Maximum temperature = 30.7 C
Rainfall = 399.0 mm
Rainy days = 23​

Samui 30-year averages for September:
Minimum temperature = 24.9 C
Maximum temperature = 31.5 C
Rainfall = 113.2 mm
Rainy days = 16​

Source 2: Weather4Travel:
Phuket (works for the Andaman coast in general--Phi Phi, Lanta, Krabi
September in Phuket

In September the average maximum daytime temperature in Phuket is a hot 31°C (87°F), with high heat and humidity, while the average minimum night-time temperature is a warm 24°C (75°F).

On average 398 mm (15.7 inches) of rainfall is expected in Phuket during September with rain generally falling on 19 days of the month. There are usually 5 hours of bright sunshine each day, which represents 43% of daylight hours.

During September around midday under clear sky conditions the UV Index in Phuket is Extreme (UV Index 11+). Average sea temperature around Phuket in September is a warm 29°C (84°F).

Samui
September in Ko Samui (works for Gulf islands of Samui, Tao, Pha Ngan

In September the average maximum daytime temperature in Ko Samui is a hot 31°C (87°F), with high heat and humidity, while the average minimum night-time temperature is a warm 24°C (74°F).

On average 141 mm (5.6 inches) of rainfall is expected in Ko Samui during September with rain generally falling on 18 days of the month. There are usually 6 hours of bright sunshine each day, which represents 46% of daylight hours.

During September around midday under clear sky conditions the UV Index in Ko Samui is Extreme (UV Index 11+). Average sea temperature around Ko Samui in September is a warm 29°C (84°F).​

Having said that, on rainy days it rarely rains all day, but it may rain torrentially followed by bright sunshine. The rainwater is quite warm--nothing like the cold mist and drizzle you are used to at home. The biggest issue in terms of rainy season weather in Thailand for diving is the condition of the sea. Rain storms tend to create swells and surges that may make being on a boat uncomfortable.

Thanks for the weather info quero! that helps a lot.

If we go to Krabi then Phuket, what is the best way to get there? Looks like the commercial airlines fly to Bangkok then down to Phuket, spendy and a lot of flying for such a short trip.

There are plenty of airlines that fly directly to Phuket.

At least from Europe there are...I don't know about US. Maybe you could take a US airline into Europe and connect onto a direct flight to Phuket.

Do remember though that if you decide to fly internally in Thailand with Air Asia or other local carriers. It does pay to book early. AND they are very mean on baggage allowance. I think Air Asia allow you 15kg before excess fees kick in.

There is some information flights to Thailand on my website if you are interested

Cheapest ways to fly to Thailand

Travel tips in Thailand to get to Koh Phra Thong

There are plenty of airlines that fly directly to Phuket.

At least from Europe there are...I don't know about US. Maybe you could take a US airline into Europe and connect onto a direct flight to Phuket.

Do remember though that if you decide to fly internally in Thailand with Air Asia or other local carriers. It does pay to book early. AND they are very mean on baggage allowance. I think Air Asia allow you 15kg before excess fees kick in.

There is some information flights to Thailand on my website if you are interested

Cheapest ways to fly to Thailand

Travel tips in Thailand to get to Koh Phra Thong

Flying to/from the US and either Phuket or Bangkok is easy. It's when we're in Krabi, it seems like a lot of work to fly to Phuket. The flights I see on kayak.com take you from Krabi to BKK and back to Phuket and are over $200 per person. From what I can tell, Krabi and Phuket are about 75 miles away so there must be an easier way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom