Service interval and new regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The yearly service interval gets debated here but I started wondering about something.
Since one reason for the yearly service is the seat taking a set, what happens when new regs sit before being sold?

The 2nd stage seats take a set and a small adjustment may be appropriate. The normal seting process that occures with 2nd stages causes little or no noticable performance loss.

But it does sell unnecessary service.

as most first stages close under pressure, so nothing on a first stage just sitting there.

with little repetitive motion, a second stage seat will slightly indent...

one would certainly hope a new regulator was re-tuned (or tune verified) at time of transfer of ownership from shop to diver....

Rhwestfall I would hope so too. I was just curious if they would need service even if new just from being stored awaiting sale.

The yearly service interval gets debated here but I started wondering about something.
Since one reason for the yearly service is the seat taking a set, what happens when new regs sit before being sold?

The high pressure seat of a first stage does not take a set while it is sitting in a box in a warehouse or dive shop because it is not pressurized. New first stages typically don't even sit in a warehouse or dive shop assembled with the second stages, hoses, etc., as a unit ready for a customer to use. Rather, when you order a reg set, the dive shop assembles the first stage and two second stages together with the appropriate hoses, etc., and (one would hope) tunes the whole reg set. The second stage can't be tuned properly until the first stage has been tuned, because the fine tuning of the second stage depends on a stable IP of the first stage. Tuning should include operating the reg through some reasonable number of breathing cycles to begin the process of the high pressure seat in the first stage "taking a set." Only by the high pressure seat taking a set will the IP stabilize. The seat taking a set is desirable, not something to be avoided. But the seat does not take a set while the first stage is sitting in a box in a warehouse or dive shop because it is not pressurized.

That's one of the reasons given by dive gear manufacturers and shops. But truthfully, the reason for required yearly service is just to get customers in the door and inflate the value of the so called 'free' parts programs. For most divers, yearly service is a waste of money and does nothing to improve reliability. Yearly (or frequent) inspection is a good idea, but almost anyone can do that themselves.

What's wrong with a seat taking a set?

can cause them to start freeflowing by not sealing properly against the crown. Takes a long time for it to do that, but it happens. Can me temporarily resolved by de-tuning the regulator, but then you have increase WoB. Vicious cycle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom