service kit prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not directly answering your question however...

Business models vary greatly regarding sales vs service.

Story to illustrate:
My friend was pushed to buy a new reg after receiving an estimate of close to 300$ for service. I've seen the rebuild kits he needed sold online for a total of 45$. The markup in labor and inflated parts prices at that shop was fairly high as they did not want to service equipment and would rather sell new gear.

Regards,
Cameron

Wow.
I just took in a Scubapro MK20 (1st stage only) in to my LDS for service because I like the new owner. and want to support him.
The 1st stage kit was $26.00 and the whole bill was $48 and some change. That was cheap enough for me to just let them do it from now on.
Sounds right. Works out to $22 for labor. Per stage..we charge $59 Labor for 1st, 2nd, and alternate air source (3 stages). Break it down if only 1st stage $20. .Includes spg o rings or spindle replacement. Plus parts. If Sherwood regulator under warrenty parts usually free. Sherwood has probably best free parts offer over all others. Atomic ,Scubapro, Oceanic parts usually extra.

My rate is 45.00 an hour for service and I bill by the actual time. So if say a clean second comes in, and it needs to be rebuilt, that takes me 20 minutes to tear down, clean, rebuild and test it's 15 bucks labor plus the kit. Return shipping is extra. For a 1st, 2nd, and backup if they are not really grungy and require exceptional cleaning I can get that done in roughly an hour and a half. So 67.50 labor. That does include me taking it to the pool and testing it for an hour or so in the water on top of bench and sink testing.
I do have people send me just the components rather than the entire reg.
In all honesty, while I like servicing gear, I prefer to teach divers to service their own and just sell them the kits.

I guess whatever the cost is that your LDS charges, parts and labor should be disclosed upfront and without hidden fees.. AND... if price for service/parts/labor is disclosed than as consumers we expect that price to be honored.

I have also seen LDS give back all replaced parts that were serviced and provide invoice when requested. Just standard business practice.

Last edited:
Wow.....my LDS charged me $73.37 for the parts kits on the Delta 4, $47.00 for a Sherwood Blizzard and $160 for labor for the two sets.

If you are looking at a "ballpark" price for kits, I would estimate $35 for the first stage and $20 for each of the second stages, so $73.37 is not outrageous. Prices may vary by $5.00 or so per stage. However, the parts on the Blizzard are outrageous. Unless something changed, Sherwood prices their kits with both a first and second and they are usually around $20 or so, with the octo being another $10.

As far as the labor goes you are at $80 a set which is around $25-30 a stage. That is within normal pricing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom