Serviced my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No questions. Just wanted to say it was not as hard as I thought and so if you are on the fence I would say go for it. SEA 4 first with a Conshelf XIV second was what i worked on. There were a few points where I needed to back up a couple of steps but overall easy and the first IP test it was dead on at 135. The video at vintagediving helped a lot for the Conshelf and all I did for the first stage was follow the manual. Next I'll try and fix that old double hose.

Any of the USD or Voit DH regs are pretty easy, the RAM is the same inside as the SEA, the DAAM is very similar. Setup procedure for the second stage is somewhat different but not hard. My biggest suggestion is not to scrimp on the replacement parts even though they may look OK. The original diaphragms and hoses are no where as good as the reproductions when they were new, much less now.

No questions. Just wanted to say it was not as hard as I thought and so if you are on the fence I would say go for it. SEA 4 first with a Conshelf XIV second was what i worked on. There were a few points where I needed to back up a couple of steps but overall easy and the first IP test it was dead on at 135. The video at vintagediving helped a lot for the Conshelf and all I did for the first stage was follow the manual. Next I'll try and fix that old double hose.
What special tools did you end up needing? Obviously IP gauge. What else?

What special tools did you end up needing? Obviously IP gauge. What else?
Good question. I bought a 4 prong poppet adjustment tool which I think made the second stage work very easy and a first stage holding tool from Herman. I think these are "gotta haves" in my mind although I suppose I could have gotten by without the poppet tool (I would have just not been happy). I also picked up an ultra-sonic cleaner but I think you could probably have done it without that as well. There was also a snap ring tool which I didn't own prior. Everything else was standard (picks, wrenches and some hex keys). I actually bought a small set of every tool I needed for this job so I can keep them separate and grease free.
I used kits from Northeast but I think next time I will try a different source. I think the AL manual said to replace a certain item that was not in the kit I bought. I wish I had a tool for the adjustment screw on the first stage. I ended up using a nickel and some pliers.
I took my time, actually did it over 3 nights last week but if you have some uninterrupted time you could do it all one night after work.
Edit-Forgot to add, the IP gauge I picked up from leasurepro for like $8(?) which I think was a great deal.

Just wanted to say it was not as hard as I thought and so if you are on the fence I would say go for it. SEA 4 first
Excellent! I have a NOS SEA4 in front of me now waiting for an overhaul. Looks to be even easier than a Conshelf.

Some dive shops hate that we discover that reg service is not rocket science and doesn't require thousands of dollars in tools and test equipment. I have had a couple that told me I'm hurting the industry by training people to service their own gear. Even though the line I sell and teach allows it!

Thanks for the report. I look forward to joining your ranks soon... Just bought two hog reg assemblies so i'll have two first stages and four second stages that'll need maintenance. Plan on taking the hog service class offered by my lds. (bought the hogs specifically because manufacturer supports user service). I wouldn't have it any other way... I think of it as packing my own parachute. I'm halfway through reading "regulator savvy" and I love knowing how my reg works and having mental picture of it when i'm diving. Don't understand how the majority of people seem ok with leaving the "magic" to their service shop and essentially diving on faith.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom