Servicing a second stage Sherwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an older Sherwood Oasis. When I hooked it up to a tank with 3500psi it had a slow free flow. I don't have time to take it in and am wondering if I can repair it. I unscrewed the cap and saw the mechanism and it has a screw. Not sure if i can tighten or loosen it. There is no warranty on the device. Can i detach it and adjust something from the hose side?

I'm posting here because I understand the risks. I'm out of time, so recommendations on take it to the shop or don't dive are pointless. What I'm looking for is some educated recommendation (with no liability) on how I may resolve this issue. Worst case If there's a way to adjust it completely closed that would be satisfactory.

First you need to determine if the problem is the 2nd stage or the 1st stage. To do this, you need to measure the intermediate pressure; or find someone who can. Or you could loosen the nut about 1/12 of a turn and see if you get lucky.

This could be a lot of things especially since you say,"When I hooked it up to a tank with 3500psi it had a slow free flow".

That statement leads me to suspect that it does not happen at a lower pressure. Since the IP going to the second stages should be constant I wonder if your first stage is creeping. The ideal test is to connect an IP gauge, usually to the inflater hose. If you purge the second stage the IP should barely flinch and then stay put. If it flinches down then slowly creeps up some and the free flow commences then your 1st stage is creeping and the free flow is acting as a relief preventing a hose blow-out.

I'll suggest that you start by reviewing this checklist.

Without knowing just what you have as "an older Sherwood" I'll stay away from specific "screws". But based on my 2005 vintage units I think you're looking at the wrong screw to turn.

The suggestion to "not dive" should never be pointless. To suggest so is a scary thought.

Pete

I didn't have the gauges to test pressures, but adjusted the lever for the purge valve(seemed to be bent out so that even unpressed, it seemed to be triggering. I gave the screw between the reg and the hose a 1/4 turn. No leak, proper purging good volume. Took it 10' in my pool and all was well. I'm doing pool work tomorrow so it shouldn't be an issue but will have it properly serviced ASAP. The physics and engineering of this stuff is not to difficult, and quite logical. But that may be the engineer in me. Thanks for the advice and any further advice.

I'm a bit late to this party, but the manuals for your reg can be found very easily online. Check out here and you should find everything you need to learn how your reg works and how to service it.

Back
Top Bottom