Servicing costs for old 1st/2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the us divers guy is not a authorized aqualung dealer and did not have access to parts. There is no way a 15 yr old regulator did not need o rings or a complete rebuild kit. To me it sounds like a half assed job. Chances are a new hose or 2 may also need change.
The oceanic should run about $59 labor on its and 2 second stages and service on spg spindle. Parts for rebuild kit around $40 to $50. New second stage diaphragms $15 x 2.so that totals $140. Add in cost on corroded labor charge and tax and brings you close to what you were charged for proper full servicing , like new regulator.Little high but not by much.

Spoken like a true dive shop owner, not someone who actually understands how regulators work. O-rings can last a looonnngggg time in regulators. And he may have replaced some o-rings, the OP said he was told the 'seals' were in good shape, which could mean seats. If the 1st stage was rebuilt well 15 years ago and stored well, not dove much, I would expect the seat to be in excellent condition, seeing as how 1st stage seats only wear when the regulator is pressurized. If the regulator was cleaned, assembled, and tested well, I would have no hesitation diving with it. This is assuming the tech was competent enough to tell the difference between a good and poor condition o-ring and/or seat. It's not rocket science.

Regulator service is a thorny issue with many dive shops. The policies of the manufacturers are absurd, as are the prices of the rebuild kits. Some dive shops lean heavily on these policies to maintain control of the parts and artificially inflate the 'value' of new regulator purchases vs used. Certainly dive shops generate revenue on regulator service, but nobody gets rich servicing regulators. Selling new ones is a much better generator of revenue for the shop. So anything that encourages divers to buy new, like making it more difficult and/or expensive to service old gear, is a-okay with those shops.

This kind of arrangement would never fly in industries where large percentages of the general public is involved. Imagine an auto dealer saying "you can't buy parts for this car, it's too dangerous to let anyone other than us touch it" Or imagine home centers not able to sell washers to fix a leaky sink, because "only certified plumbers are qualified." Ironically, both plumbing and auto repair are more complicated than regulator repair!

$15 for the SPG, you got to be kidding me. Unless the hose is being replace your looking at 2 orings and the spool if it's corroded beyond recognition. So maybe $1 for the orings and maybe $5 for the spool.

Sounds like the us divers guy is not a authorized aqualung dealer and did not have access to parts. There is no way a 15 yr old regulator did not need o rings or a complete rebuild kit. To me it sounds like a half assed job. Chances are a new hose or 2 may also need change.
The oceanic should run about $59 labor on its and 2 second stages and service on spg spindle. Parts for rebuild kit around $40 to $50. New second stage diaphragms $15 x 2.so that totals $140. Add in cost on corroded labor charge and tax and brings you close to what you were charged for proper full servicing , like new regulator.Little high but not by much.

I guess we may differ on the meaning of "need" but I certainly have a bunch of 15 or more year old regs that function perfectly with their "old" parts. I just tested some regs for an upcoming trip. One octo leaked by a little. Cleaned out the sand and it was back to normal. I've seen a lot more regs fail from being serviced or from sand than anything else.

Well, I am quite surprise. But I really think my surprise is base more on what I have come to expect from dive shops. I think the customer should have been consulted and given the option.

I guess I never expected the attitude to change. I have to hope that the availability of parts was not a consideration. It really is more work to inspect and re-install than it is to just replace with new.

If you go as far as taking something apart, ultra sound clean it , why not do it correctly and put in new parts? It's like you replace a water pump on your outboard and not put in new thermostats. Will it work without new thermostats? Probably, but why be penny wise and dollar foolish..with replacing parts in regulator with correct rebuild parts it can be a liability if not done as manufacturer says to.
if someone comes in and wants service on regulator then our tech follows manufacturers directions. If manufacturer calls for only inspection, it is put on bench tested for performance, tuned where needed and returned to owner. If manufacturer calls for rebuild then that is what it gets. Customer can get a quote and refuse either before work is started.

If you go as far as taking something apart, ultra sound clean it , why not do it correctly and put in new parts?

I do understand. Especially when it represents another $25+ profit for the LDS.

The manufacturer is more interested in supporting his retailers than in saving divers $$$. Manufacturers used to REQUIRE annual service. There was little basis for the annual requirement and there is still little basis for these new requirements other than to maintain cash flow to the retailers. Due to some competition, they have now backed off to service every 2 years (with off-year inspections to maintain cash flow to their retailer). The shops hide behind the mfgr requirements which the shop insists on!!!. Manufacturers that do not have such requirements, like HOG/Edge, are shunned by most LDSs.

I am with oly5050user on this one. It is coming from a location where labor cost is compatible or higher than part cost, if you have gone through the trouble, may as well replace the soft parts and be good for another x number of years.

Do shops really get their o-rings from pricey rebuild kits?

I just check my LDS for service labor cost. It is publish on their website
1st: $35
2nd: $22
Inspection: $15

Yes, I do think OP's labor cost is a bit high. Service kit cost is inline with my experience. Even HOG 1st stage kit is $30. I can't judge these two items:
=======================
$15 service SPG
$25 "excess corrosion upcharge" (the 2nd stage adjustment mechanism was seized)
=======================

As for cost of O-rings and stuff. This LDS I use, if you ask for an "overhaul", they will use the OEM service kit. You will get the original package with your old parts back. If you bring in for an inspection, and the tech find some o-ring needs to be replaced, he will use o-ring of proper size, but not from service kit. It is included in the inspection cost. If the tech find major issue with inspection and need more work, he will call, explain the work, cost before working on in. It is entirely my decision to give a "go ahead"

I actually don't think the cost itself is the major issue, but rather the quote vs the final cost. I think all cost should be reveal to customer, and agree upon before work start. If I was quote for $100 for the job and the bill came out to be $200 without prior notice, I would be like "WHF". But if the quote is $200 and I agree to go ahead, then I have no one else to blame.

Well, I am quite surprise. But I really think my surprise is base more on what I have come to expect from dive shops. I think the customer should have been consulted and given the option.

I guess I never expected the attitude to change. I have to hope that the availability of parts was not a consideration. It really is more work to inspect and re-install than it is to just replace with new.

Just so you know, I do not work for nor am I affiliated with a dive shop of any sort. I learned to service my regulators because I was disgusted and disheartened by the quality of repair service I got from my local dive shops. In one stretch, I had regulator failures 7 out of 8 years immediately following service. I am really glad that HOG presents the opportunity to service your own regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom