Servicing Dangerous Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan@Vintage Double Hose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Regulator was purchased new but the owner was not able to do much diving after the first few years he had it. His location changed and he was ready to go diving again and took the Conshelf 21 to his local LDS to get it serviced and to buy some other gear he wanted before getting going again. Was told by their service "technician" that his Conshelf 21 was not able to be serviced as parts were no longer available and due to it's age would most likely not be allowed on their charters as it could be DANGEROUS.

$65.00 plus return shipping and I'm returning him a regulator I'd dive anywhere. I advised him to find another LDS and to beware of false "technicians" spreading BS information.
Lots of great regulators like this are still around that can be had for very little money. Absolutely no reason to scrap them out.
20170708_113915.jpg
20170709_100031.jpg

Bryan, You trying to get people hurt.... I can tell by the pictures that is a danger to all divers on the boat, No less the poor guy using it.. :giggle:

Oh, I'm needing to get 2 new poppet kits for a set of 40 year old 109's I'm rebuilding... Talk to you monday..

Jim..

I have an ancient but venerable regulator that I still like to dive with. It scared one instructor who said he wouldn't dive with me with it because it is too old and could fail. I don't know...I thought that was why I had an octopus. Unless the regulator literally undergoes spontaneous nuclear fission, it can't find a more dramatic way to fail than any of the new ones do.

considering the Poseidon Cyklon has been in uninterrupted production since 1957, you have no way of really telling whether it was made in 1957 or 2017, so how to determine if one is "ancient" or not? It was the first real commercial single hose regulator as well and the design has been essentially unchanged.
The Scubapro 108 and 109 essentially live on in their modern counterparts with a slightly better case design but parts are interchangeable, that goes back to what the early 60's for the 108, and 1969 for the 109? The 109 and 108 what essentially all modern second stages are based on, so how could they be that bad?

Regulator was purchased new but the owner was not able to do much diving after the first few years he had it. His location changed and he was ready to go diving again and took the Conshelf 21 to his local LDS to get it serviced and to buy some other gear he wanted before getting going again. Was told by their service "technician" that his Conshelf 21 was not able to be serviced as parts were no longer available and due to it's age would most likely not be allowed on their charters as it could be DANGEROUS.

$65.00 plus return shipping and I'm returning him a regulator I'd dive anywhere. I advised him to find another LDS and to beware of false "technicians" spreading BS information.
Lots of great regulators like this are still around that can be had for very little money. Absolutely no reason to scrap them out.
View attachment 417350 View attachment 417351

I learned to dive on that very reg two years ago, I am amazed that it did not kill me. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom