Servicing my own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my list of tools of the top of my head:
I have a number of genuine service kits, but tend to use generic O-rings and parts. For the first stage MK25 I will only use the kit if I need to replace the HP Piston bushings, generally I don't. But I have been lucky to pick-up about 50 MK25 seats. My seconds are s600 and most parts are generic, including the mushroom seat. The kits have new knob stickers and face pins and housing clips, these can all be re-used if removed carefully.

Attached is a Scubapro o-ring chart, linking the SP part number to generic O-rings. Also the number required for servicing the MK25 band S600 variants.

I have gone for only one brand/model of reg to help with parts and servicing. I have 9 sets.

Excellent list. Thanks.

I have been using the SS pick set for 20 years with no problem. I tried brass but found it to bend too easily. The SS points are unnecessarily sharp so dull all except the straight point which can be used to stab an o-ring if necessary. It is wise to identify the critical sealing surfaces around an o-ring and take caution not to cause any damage. My pick of choice is almost always the double hook model. I keep one on my work bench and one in my save-a-dive kit for field use

I wouldn't recommend using SS picks on brass or chrome plated brass parts...
To help the OP, I don't tend to 'dig' out the o-ring but rather 'pinch' to get an opening and then insert the pick and use to lift the o-ring out. Works in most situations.

I would be cautious with the brass picks also, you still could damage the brass surface and more particularly the plastic components.

I use the SS pick set as well, that double hook one is excellent for removing the HP piston o-ring from the MK5/10, which is one of the more delicate and critical spots to work on. I have a feeling you can scratch regulators with the brass picks as well. The shape of those hook and double hook SS picks from scubatools is very good for removing o-rings from their groove without scratching.

How many of you use cristolube vs something else? Also, how much lube do you pack the first with, if any?

How many of you use cristolube vs something else? Also, how much lube do you pack the first with, if any?
For my main servicing I use cristolube. In my travel kit I have an alternate buy equivalent lube.

The MK25 does not require or support packing with lube.

I pack two of my MK10s with tribolube 66. It's a less expensive option than christolube 111 or tribolube 71, which are the standard O2 safe greases that are used in scuba.

But I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. When I say "pack" I mean I completely fill the ambient chamber as an environmental seal, with a rubber boot holding it in place. You can't really do this with the MK20/25.

I pack two of my MK10s with tribolube 66. It's a less expensive option than christolube 111 or tribolube 71, which are the standard O2 safe greases that are used in scuba.

But I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. When I say "pack" I mean I completely fill the ambient chamber as an environmental seal, with a rubber boot holding it in place. You can't really do this with the MK20/25.

How about the Atomic? Can it be "sealed"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom