Servicing your own regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I service my own regs.
I had no formal training.
I read Vance Harlow's manual, downloaded the official technician's manual for my reg, and purchased a few overhaul kits.
I'm not a mechanic or tool junkie by any stretch of the imagination.
I like to dive. I am curious about how things work and how to fix things/people when they're broken.
I'm patient, eager to learn, and detail-oriented.

I enjoy supporting my LDS, but I also purchase things online from several different sources.

Learning how to service my own regs was one of the best things I've ever done as a diver.

yes with the training and experience all things are possiable and that is quite ok the problem I see is this system on line and the walmart approach that lead people with limited skills and knowledge attempting thing that they dont know could be dangerous thanks to the dumbing down of entry level scuba that in my opinion are killing the industry and making it unsafer by the day.

So let me get this right, on the one hand you complain about the dumbing down of scuba training and when someone says they want to learn to work on their own gear, you complain about that too. Ummm, ok then.

I want to learn to service my own gear for the same reason I want to do minor maintenance on my car. Then, I know the work was done right, I know the replacement parts are of good quality, and I have a chance to inspect and monitor the other parts.

go for it sb staff way to support the dive world that is great advice you are rite thank you
I am sorry for the post upon reflection i think we should just go to buddies teaching budies to dive and no real certification to teach or rebuild equipment is really needed I am sure most people are capable we can all just learn it on line and when iphone comes out with the new app we can get air fills on line as well .lol really

Hey,hey.....my,my.....

Servicing regulators isn't rocket science, but it's not the easiest thing to do, either. I'm still not done buying all of the tools I need/want, and I've spent quite a chunk of change already. I've also spent a lot of time observing regulator repair technicians, and having them observe me as I rebuilt my own regs, to get their advice and guidance. Additionally, I've taken some instruction from the HOG repair class, and read Regulator Savvy, an invaluable guide.

Most regulators have more parts than UDTFire's posts do punctuation, keep than in mind when opening up a regulator. :wink:

It is life support equipment, but so are brakes, and it only took me half a day, a repair manual, and two trips to Walmart to rebuild the brakes on my truck :)

knowone....I never much liked the USD Gulf/Seaquest Infinity piston 1st stage.....they make much better diaphragm regs.
If it's the Gulf then it came with a very nice KM 2nd stage.

Last edited:
I've started to service my own regs. I only have one brand, Apeks, and I found a source for actual Apeks parts. I've been able to get hold of the manuals for the regs and I have the VH book as well.

I've acquired a descent assortment of tools from ScubaTools...spanner wrenches, IP gauge with Inline Adjuster, and a few others. There are a few more tools and gauges I'd like to get. Oh yeah, I also picked up an ultrasonic cleaner.

Bottom line, in the long run I may save money.

More important I actually know and understand how my regs work.

With that said, I'll replace the brakes on my cars and timing belts. I've relocated my gas meter in my house and reran my gas lines. I've opened up my electric meter so I can disconnect the power to my panel to move it. I'm not bad with my hands.

If you're comfortable with mechanics, have the tools, have the parts, it really, really isn't that hard. Use a camera to record the steps of dis-assembly if you're unsure.

It can be a very rewarding experience.

Hi
Thought I would ask what other people do or think about servicing your own regulators. My dive buddy and myself are very mechanically inclined in fact he is a mechanic. So we were thinking we could do it ourselves due to the fact neither of us have the warranty on our regs anymore. From what I gather depending on the reg all you need is a IP gauge, the proper grease and a rebuild kit with the reg rebuild manual.

Thanks.

Servicing regulators is really quite simple. Formal training is nice but mostly unnecessary except for some of the untalented folks that an LDSs may occasionally push into it. Damn near any idiot can be taught to service regulators in a day. Most of the neigh sayers are much more concerned about their income than your safety.

If you give some more information about where you are and what regulators you are talking about you may find more folks willing to help.

The regs I use are apeks xtx 200 with a xtx 40 Octo and Poseidon 3960 Odin jet stream
I just want a better understanding of how they work and be able to diagnose a problem and possible fix it. I also take pride in servicing my own equipment, and being able to fix things. If anyone has experience with the above regs it would helpful. I already ordered the mentioned text about reg repair.

Thanks

The formal training I have received consisted of a couple hours of sitting in a hotel conference room, taking apart a reg, then putting it back together, followed by grabbing the companies next reg, being told "this is identical to the last one", for 5 models in a row. Then there was all the juicy hints and tips that would be prefaced with "this question is on the test at the end", then of course the awesome test where we were basically told the answers. But hey at least I got a free repair place mat to put on my bench.

I knew more before I got there, by buying Vance's book, buying a couple old regs off ebay, and figuring them out myself. It's not for everyone, but it's not rocket science.

I have developed a few theories about DIY over the years.

The "DIY club" certainly has gained a lot of members over the years from people wanting to do something on their own in order to save money, and I am thankful for that. In the long haul however it sometimes ends up costing more than had it been done professionally in the first place.

The magical thing though.....at least in my case, I began to truly appreciate the fact that I was able to DO IT MYSELF. We do it yourselfers actually gain personal growth and satisfaction through the learning, constructing/repairing episode and finally sit back and enjoy the final product. Frequently we actually do save a lot of money in the process.

In many cases the final product can be better than that professionally done, so long as due diligence is followed with research and study.

I for one will gladly "take my life in my own hands", but welcome as always those with differing opinions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom