Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I just got my head wrapped around the much shorter than expected list of tools that @The Chairman put out and you go and throw in a magnetized helix! But seriously, is a magnehelic a must have, should have or comes in handy type of gauge? I’ll do a search for what it is so that you don’t have to explain.
Thanks

You can make your own vacuum gauge with a loop of clear plastic tubing and a ruler.

https://opentextbc.ca/chemistry/wp-content/uploads/sites/150/2016/05/CNX_Chem_09_01_Manometer.jpg

Substitute the label "Gas" for "Regulator Second Stage Mouthpiece" and make a T piece to fit to your regulator with an opening to put in your mouth.

Yet the entire world was mapped and navigated centuries ago by ships using ropes with knots in them. It may not have the precision of GPS but it was good enough to find small islands across thousands of miles of ocean. Crude does not mean ineffective.
Agreed and you can still use a sextant for navigation. :)

What is the difference in Magnahelic gauge ranges? Why would one select one over another? I see 0-3 and a 5-0-5’s for example on Scuba Tool’s site.

With a common cracking effort of 1-1.5", a 0-2" or 0-3" magnehelic puts your desired reading midscale.
Since some out-of-tune regs will crack at 3" or higher, I think a 0-3" is better, while a 0-2" might allow slightly more precise readings.
A 0-5" will keep you from pinning the gauge with a stiff reg, but may be harder to read in the desired 1" range.

A -3"-0"-3" or -5"-0"-5" mag will allow you to read exhalation effort as well as cracking effort on the same gauge, at the cost of difficulty seeing precise values in the 1" range.

Short answer, get a 0-3" magnehelic.

With a common cracking effort of 1-1.5", a 0-2" or 0-3" magnehelic puts your desired reading midscale.
Since some out-of-tune regs will crack at 3" or higher, I think a 0-3" is better, while a 0-2" might allow slightly more precise readings.
A 0-5" will keep you from pinning the gauge with a stiff reg, but may be harder to read in the desired 1" range.

A -3"-0"-3" or -5"-0"-5" mag will allow you to read exhalation effort as well as cracking effort on the same gauge, at the cost of difficulty seeing precise values in the 1" range.

Short answer, get a 0-3" magnehelic.

Thank you for the explanation.

If you want to go all in, here's a list of tools that will allow you to spend up to $600 or more to service multiple brands of regs.
Or pick and choose for just the brand you own.

Attachments

• MinScubaToolList.xlsx
    16.3 KB · Views: 207
On the other hand, a scratched old HVAC magnehelic for $60 on eBay
Did you pay THAT much? :D :D :D I think I got two for $25 dollars one day. One was given away and the other mounted onto that plate. Yeah, most people don't realize that measuring the depth in a pot of water will give you the exact same reading. You don't have to worry about the rate of inhalation affecting it at all. If you buy one, 3 inches is perfect and anything over 5 inches makes it hard to be precise. Oh yeah, there's usually an inlet for measuring vacuum and one for pressure. Choose wisely. :D

You can make your own vacuum gauge with a loop of clear plastic tubing and a ruler.

https://opentextbc.ca/chemistry/wp-content/uploads/sites/150/2016/05/CNX_Chem_09_01_Manometer.jpg

Substitute the label "Gas" for "Regulator Second Stage Mouthpiece" and make a T piece to fit to your regulator with an opening to put in your mouth.
Or you can buy an U-tube differential manometer on Amazon for 15 USD:
https://www.amazon.com/RadonAway-50...ywords=u-tube+manometer&qid=1614077261&sr=8-3

Back
Top Bottom