Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about running it via zoom? Some logistics still yes but cuts the cost for you of room and transport.

Could also cut transport cost for students though add cost for getting a used reg but those are available off eBay I've heard. I will assume either way the students will need to purchase there own tools so I don't include that in cost savings
That's a great suggestion! It obviously cuts into the hands-on help if a student has trouble with a particular regulator, but it would certainly save on travel and lodging for both of us. Let me see what I can come up with over the next few months.

It's a conspiracy I tell you, make prices more for the DIY person to push to shops.

Still worth learning though.

Absolutely, I am convinced of this. I think also the reason behind SPs smoking crack parts price constant increases and the ever rapidly increasing NLA on so many parts for older models, clearly they want everyone to be buying new regs.

It's a conspiracy I tell you, make prices more for the DIY person to push to shops.

Still worth learning though.

It'll stop a lot from venturing into DIY and those of us who's hobby was restoring etc but I'll still be servicing my own stuff.

It truely is a "Sayonara" order. I'll be getting a bunch of LP seats for myself, I have everything else I could need to see me to my last dive.

That's a great suggestion! It obviously cuts into the hands-on help if a student has trouble with a particular regulator, but it would certainly save on travel and lodging for both of us. Let me see what I can come up with over the next few months.

I bought a USB "document" camera recently (arrives Wednesday), so someone remotely can watch me work. I'd rather watch my instructor perform a task and then watch me do it, rather than work on mine for me. I learn by doing. I've got decent monitors in my office, and the 55" TV whose TV tuner and IR sensor stopped working works fairly well as a spare monitor.

Absolutely, I am convinced of this. I think also the reason behind SPs smoking crack parts price constant increases and the ever rapidly increasing NLA on so many parts for older models, clearly they want everyone to be buying new regs.

It is literally cheaper to take them to a shop now. Mine charges 25 for second 30 for first plus any parts not covered by the warrant. So for routine where my parts are free.... only thing I'm not sure is how often are additional parts needed?

I bought a USB "document" camera recently (arrives Wednesday), so someone remotely can watch me work.
Yep. That's what i used for my D420 videos. I just need to get some practice switching between sharing that screen, my computer's camera, and some PowerPoint photos/slides. And then put all the demo problem regulators together to work through the issues on camera. It'll be a bit of a project.

It is literally cheaper to take them to a shop now. Mine charges 25 for second 30 for first plus any parts not covered by the warrant. So for routine where my parts are free.... only thing I'm not sure is how often are additional parts needed?

If your in the parts for life program it's not worth doing it yourself. If you DIY and your hobby is resurrecting old regs you need misc parts from time to time.

If your in the parts for life program it's not worth doing it yourself. If you DIY and your hobby is resurrecting old regs you need misc parts from time to time.

I am but I like learning new stuff, plus the turn around time from drop off to pick up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom