Setting focus with Nauticam thumb button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Audsred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received my Nauticam EM-1 housing and am trying to set-up the camera so that I can use the thumb button to focus. Currently the camera is set-up to focus on half press on the shutter button. I know the setting is selected in the AF/MF menu but I not sure what options I should choose in the AEL/AFL to set this up.

General question - if I set-up the thumb button for focus - do I need to hold it down while I press the shutter? And what happens when I half press the shutter button (anything)?

I found a document talking about these setting but after reading it, I'm still not sure how to set this up.

Thanks for your help,
Audrey

Provided your E-M1 behaves similarly as my E-M5 (I don't think there are dramatic differences):

if I set-up the thumb button for focus - do I need to hold it down while I press the shutter?
Depends on which settings you've specified for AF Mode. On the E-M5, it's menu setting A4, AEL/AFL. S-AF Mode 3 says AEL on half press, shoot on full press, so if you set Mode 3, you don't have to hold the focus button down while pressing the shutter.

And what happens when I half press the shutter button (anything)?
Again, that's up to you. There are several options to choose from. I prefer AE-Lock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom