Setting up new regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SereDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just ordered a new regulator, octo and SPG/console this weekend for my son! :D
It seems to me that it should be pertty straightforward when it comes to assembling the three components: make sure that all hoses have an "o" ring and tighgten down snugly. Am I missing something here, or is that it? Thanks in advance for your help:confused:

That's all the shop did to mine. Don't over tighten.

put a little spit on the orings

I just ordered a new regulator, octo and SPG/console this weekend for my son! :D
It seems to me that it should be pertty straightforward when it comes to assembling the three components: make sure that all hoses have an "o" ring and tighgten down snugly. Am I missing something here, or is that it? Thanks in advance for your help:confused:

Yep, and unlike the typical LDS you can go to the extreme of using the correct size wrench rather than the universal vice grip or pliers they will use.

N

Yep, and unlike the typical LDS you can go to the extreme of using the correct size wrench rather than the universal vice grip or pliers they will use.

N
:rofl3: good one, I use a 4" crescent wrench.

:rofl3: good one, I use a 4" crescent wrench.

A quality adjustable spanner is suitable for this work (better than pliers) but did you know, just for your own info, those of us who have been in the aviation maintenance field and who hold the A&P might consider an adjustable wrench non professional, in fact, they are banned tools on the floor because they damage expenisve fittings. In addition to being able to read, what differentiates the A&P from a tractor mechanic is we use the right tools for the job, a scratch on a fitting is an insult to our integrity. A regulator is said to be life support, yes, I guess, but an airplane supports lives (plural) and scratches and rounding are not allowed.

Adjustable wrenches are OK in a dive bag but they tend to round over and as well they are often to thick to engage the fittings correctly on your regulator and wind up busting the chrome. Not making fun of you, just letting you know. N

A quality adjustable spanner is suitable for this work (better than pliers) but did you know, just for your own info, those of us who have been in the aviation maintenance field and who hold the A&P might consider an adjustable wrench non professional, in fact, they are banned tools on the floor because they damage expenisve fittings. In addition to being able to read, what differentiates the A&P from a tractor mechanic is we use the right tools for the job, a scratch on a fitting is an insult to our integrity. A regulator is said to be life support, yes, I guess, but an airplane supports lives (plural) and scratches and rounding are not allowed.

Adjustable wrenches are OK in a dive bag but they tend to round over and as well they are often to thick to engage the fittings correctly on your regulator and wind up busting the chrome. Not making fun of you, just letting you know. N

Have to agree again with you there James, I call them "nut rounders" and do not own any, use the right tool for the right job i.e the correct size spanner/wrench, I fix vintage Vespas in my spare time and the number of times I have had to go to extremes i.e. drills, files etc to remove a nut that has been rounded to the extent that no spanner fits is unbelievable.

I guess if I was over torquing them a few 1000 times I might round them off, a 4" crecent wrench is very thin and I snug it on the fitting before I gently tighten the hose. And I do carry it in my save a dive kit.

I agree Nemrod. Nothing smacks of "lack of professionalism" like rounded or scratched fittings. I am not an A&P mechanic, but spent some time as an industrial sewing machine mechanic. Some of the machines i worked on had almost 1000 parts. Nothing infuriated me like having to rebuild a machine in which some "jockey" had rounded or broken out internal parts. Some of the fittings are so small, that these days, without magnification, my old eyes can barely see the end of the wrench, let alone the fitting.

Interestingly, most scuba shops won't sell me parts because they deem me "not capable" of rebuilding my regs, which by comparison is childsplay.

I do carry two small, high quality adjustable wrenches in my travel kit, which, if carefully adjusted, will do the job of changing hoses, etc, without damage.

Last edited:

Running the fitting in is easy enough as stated. Just load up on the threads slightly and call it good. The o-ring makes the seal and when pressurized the thrust loading will aid in keeping the threads from moving.

Keep an eye on the rig to make sure things are playing nice together. The 1st and primary will probably be OK as sold but some shops will check and fine tune those that they sell. The alternate second stage stands a fair chance of being happy out of the box especially if you stayed with 1 brand. Be sure to test this stuff in a pool or conservative site to make sure it's not prone to free flow and does not breathe like a rock.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom