Seven Mile Beach - 1st Week Oct!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knucklebusted

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm more of a lurker than contributor here but the information is great.

I'm going to Grand Cayman and staying on Seven Mile Beach for a week at the Comfort Suites. I'm considering the Cayman Turtle Divers since they are close to the hotel. Wife is a non-diver so if anybody is there, I'm open to meeting other divers.

Anyone have anything bad to say about Cayman Turtle Divers AND what are the must dive sites on/near Seven Mile Beach?

I figure I'll ask for some of the best and take whatever is convenient for the rest of the time.

fyi - Ambassador Divers is AT the Comfort Suites and like everyone else keeps their boats a few minutes away with a van shuttle so your wife can use the rental car while you're gone.

The owner - Jason - is one of trhe people behind the Dive365Cayman.com collection of websites so knows diving, Nothing wrong with CTD either though that I'm aware of. I suggest you let either pick the best sites for the day/conditions - if you specify you might miss something better.

On most shortlists - Big Tunnels, Orange Canyon, Trinity Caves, Ghost Mountain if they can get out there. Aquarium for a 2nd shallow dive and the Kittiwake now also. Here's a few hundred other options: Best Dive Sites Grand Cayman - iDive

Last edited:
I'm more of a lurker than contributor here but the information is great.

I'm going to Grand Cayman and staying on Seven Mile Beach for a week at the Comfort Suites. I'm considering the Cayman Turtle Divers since they are close to the hotel. Wife is a non-diver so if anybody is there, I'm open to meeting other divers.

Anyone have anything bad to say about Cayman Turtle Divers AND what are the must dive sites on/near Seven Mile Beach?

I figure I'll ask for some of the best and take whatever is convenient for the rest of the time.

As mentioned, Ambassador Divers is located right where you are staying. They are a fine dive op. You could have breakfast with your wife, then head out for a two-tanker while she enjoys the beach, and be back before lunch to take in the rest of the day. Very convenient.

The best dive sites are quite far from SMB, so most of the dive ops located thereabouts rarely get to them. The weather has a lot to do with where the boats go on GC as well, so, ideally, just roll with it and enjoy.

Last edited:
OK, sounds like I don't have to pick right now any way. Being the slow season, I am hoping there won't be much in the way of crowds on the beach or a boat.

On crowds, especially on the beach where you are planning on staying check the cruise ship schedule to see what might me coming your way

On crowds, especially on the beach where you are planning on staying check the cruise ship schedule to see what might me coming your way

The Comfort Suites beach (which is very small) is private for guests of the hotel only. Many are like that on SMB.

I don't think that the Comfort Suites accommodates the cruise ship passengers. We stayed there for a few nights several years ago. The hotel is not directly on 7MB but it has direct access to the beach. You just have to walk down a short path to get to the beach, you won't have to cross the street.

But they have a small beach and if the hotel is full the beach can get crowded, but it is a beautiful beach and they also have a pool. What time of year will you be visiting?

Do you have a suite or a studio? I'm asking because I think that all of the rooms have some options for food prep and storage, and that is important because it is expensive to eat out 3 times a day on Grand Cayman. You get complimentary breakfast from the hotel and if you can prepare some simple meals and then go out to eat once a day - or order a pizza - being able to prepare some of your own meals saves a lot of money.

Are you renting a car? Some very good shore diving sites are available on the island and they are much less expensive than boat dives. And there is a lot to see and do on GC, let me know if you would like some suggestions.

There are places near to the Comfort Suites that you can walk to, Coconut Joe's is right across the street and the Craft microbrewery is also nearby.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I don't think that the Comfort Suites accommodates the cruise ship passengers. We stayed there for a few nights several years ago. The hotel is not directly on 7MB but it has direct access to the beach. You just have to walk down a short path to get to the beach, you won't have to cross the street.

But they have a small beach and if the hotel is full the beach can get crowded, but it is a beautiful beach and they also have a pool. What time of year will you be visiting?

Do you have a suite or a studio? I'm asking because I think that all of the rooms have some options for food prep and storage, and that is important because it is expensive to eat out 3 times a day on Grand Cayman. You get complimentary breakfast from the hotel and if you can prepare some simple meals and then go out to eat once a day - or order a pizza - that saves a lot of money.

Are you renting a car? Some very good shore diving sites are available on the island and they are much less expensive than boat dives. And there is a lot to see and do on GC, let me know if you would like some suggestions.

There are places near to the Comfort Suites that you can walk to, Coconut Joe's is right across the street and the Craft microbrewery place is also nearby.

Have a great trip!

Comfort Suites is pretty good value for SMB on GC. I've stayed there a few times. The breakfast is good enough to get you going, and if you have a mini fridge in the room, there is a grocery store within a reasonable walking distance for fruit, snacks, etc. The bar at the CS pool serves food, but it's a little hit and miss. There is also a Pizza Hut very close by. I like the fish tacos at the Sunshine Grill, and they make other good sized and tasty meals at good prices. It's a bit of a trek by foot, but doable. Craft Microbrewery is a great spot. Grand Cayman is an exemplary island; clean, safe, quiet, well managed, and with some pretty good diving too. A little on the expensive side to be sure, but worth it. Seven Mile Beach is magnificent. Have fun.

The hotel is not directly on 7MB but it has direct access to the beach. You just have to walk down a short path to get to the beach, you won't have to cross the street.

Do you have a suite or a studio? I'm asking because I think that all of the rooms have some options for food prep and storage, and that is important because it is expensive to eat out 3 times a day on Grand Cayman. You get complimentary breakfast from the hotel and if you can prepare some simple meals and then go out to eat once a day - or order a pizza - being able to prepare some of your own meals saves a lot of money.

There are places near to the Comfort Suites that you can walk to, Coconut Joe's is right across the street and the Craft microbrewery is also nearby.

Have a great trip!

First week of October so should be the quiet season. My wife is a non-diver so as long as she can enjoy the beach, she'll be fine.

The room is described as 1 queen, sofa bed, city view. If it has a fridge & a microwave, we'll be fine. I booked round trip transport from the airport to cover us.

No car at the moment, may rent one for a day to drive around. Does the on-site offer shore dives or at least rent gear for shore dives?

Thanks for the tips.

Comfort Suites is pretty good value for SMB on GC. I've stayed there a few times. The breakfast is good enough to get you going, and if you have a mini fridge in the room, there is a grocery store within a reasonable walking distance for fruit, snacks, etc. The bar at the CS pool serves food, but it's a little hit and miss. There is also a Pizza Hut very close by. I like the fish tacos at the Sunshine Grill, and they make other good sized and tasty meals at good prices. It's a bit of a trek by foot, but doable. Craft Microbrewery is a great spot. Grand Cayman is an exemplary island; clean, safe, quiet, well managed, and with some pretty good diving too. A little on the expensive side to be sure, but worth it. Seven Mile Beach is magnificent. Have fun.

I'm cheap but I have no issue paying for what we want/need. Those all sound like good places to try and close. That's why I love Coz and the all inclusives but my wife is tired of Coz for the time being.

I find I walk more on vacation, upwards of 5 or more miles a day, sometimes 12 by my phone's health app, so it should not be a problem.

Thanks

Rental cars are actually one of the few bargains you will find on Grand Cayman but I don't know if the Comfort Suites charge for parking. But you have to be willing to drive on the left and the traffic around 7MB and George Town can be bad.

But airport transfers and taxis really add up fast. There is a safe, clean, reliable, and inexpensive public bus system, but it mostly runs in the George Town and 7MB areas and it doesn't run (or rarely runs) at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom