Several Maldives Liveaboard Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on Orion earlier this year & the US 20 for a weeks internet access on the boat worked fine. As someone else mentioned, you get access when you are near a resort island and nothing when travelling between the Atolls. But that applies to phones as well.

3mm really is fine for the vast majority of divers. Its generally only 3 dives per day on a Maldives lob - so less chilling from repetitive dives than in other locations. as above also - no gloves and definitely no hood needed.

SMB: the Maldives style is to put up the SMB from your safety stop. so you'll only need about 50 ish ft of line - which means you can use a nice small reel.

Have a great trip

I was on a liveaboard a couple of weeks ago.
Internet was available at $15 but people were complaining that it was very slow and sometimes not available at all depending on the location. What I found out though was that the crew had a different dedicated internet connection that apparently was much faster than the one for the guests so you might want to check if this is the case in your boat and see if you can get access to that one.

I used a 5mm suit and I felt pretty comfortable (avg temperature 27C). I saw a few other people using a 3mm but also using vests. I hate vests and I also like to feel comfortable (i.e. warm) in the water so my advice would be go for the 5mm.

any more questions pm.
all the best

Depends on your route of course, but 3G works pretty well for emails in and out.

heated vest? assume these are drysuit vests unless you can dive wet with electrics???????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom