Severe soft tissue infection, presumed related to rental wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Apeks website about the protection on its 2nd stages:

XTX50

• The 2nd stage is manufactured with active protection against infection as all molded parts are produced with an additive that kills MRSA, protects against E-Coli, bacteria and fungi, and is also very effective against viruses, mould, yeast and algae.

Very cool and good to know. I think they may be the only one or one of a few? Unfortunately, I have not seen a rental fleet in my travels or local diving that has had Apeks rentals.

But we don’t see people sporting cold sores all about the place, so I wonder who the WHO is sampling for their estimates?

Just because you don't see them with an active sore does not mean they don't have the virus in their body...It's just lying dormant. It still means that they have the virus (for life). Also, the likelihood of everyone with it having a cold sore all at once is going to be rare.

Now this has me thinking of other gear such as regs. Would it be possible to contract oral herpes ( cold sores and fever blisters ) from buddy breathing? I get sceaved out.

At least one previous thread on that specific question that I found by searching keywords "herpes" and "regulator":

Can you? See post #7.

At least one previous thread on that specific question that I found by searching keywords "herpes" and "regulator":

Can you? See post #7.

Reading this thread, and that thread, I’m starting to get increasingly uncomfortable with all the possible diseases I could’ve gotten when I didn’t own my own gear. And some that I might have gotten and still have! Makes me wanna rush to the ER to get swabbed and cultured!

Reading this thread, and that thread, I’m starting to get increasingly uncomfortable with all the possible diseases I could’ve gotten when I didn’t own my own gear. And some that I might have gotten and still have! Makes me wanna rush to the ER to get swabbed and cultured!

This is a perfect example of ignorance is bliss....until something happens and you go to the doctor. Ayeeeeeee. *clutches my dive gear* because clutching pearls doesn’t work so well in this case. And I don’t own any.

Germs are everywhere, even in your own home and workplace and inside/on your body - and some of them are helpful and you actually need them to maintain your healthy life.

You just need to be mindful, use normal precautions and common sense, and seek medical treatment if you notice the early signs of infection or infestation.

I am also a fan of taking preventive action when it is advised by experts. Prior to our multiple trips to Roatan and Belize we've visited travel medicine physicians who recommended vaccines for Typhoid, Hepatitis A, and the taking anti-malarial drugs before, during, and after our vacations, and we use repellent to avoid biting insects as much as possible.

Whenever we travel to regions that are documented for their high rate foodborne diseases, we are careful about what we ingest. We avoid undercooked eggs and meat, drink bottled water, and eat fruit that we can peel ourselves.

It's not all that much of a hassle. We get a few shots and take a few pills and we pay attention to what we eat and drink, wear long pants and sleeves at night, and spray on some repellent.

Whenever I hear someone say that he/she plans to "take my chances with malaria!" I think "Really? Do you realize that it is a truly terrible disease that could kill you?"

I also tend to be skeptical about claims about budget dive vacations to 3rd world countries. Sure the diving and accommodations may be cheaper, but did they figure in the travel medicine risks and expenses?

Last edited:
But we don’t see people sporting cold sores all about the place, so I wonder who the WHO is sampling for their estimates?

:shrug: 4 billion people land-locked in the middle of Indo-China carry virus X. I'm sure it's terrible, but what's relevant to this discussion is how many of them rent diving equipment at the same shops I do. My guesstimate is somewhere between zip and none. If/when I go on a budget diving vacation to SEA I'll rethink that, but for now: meh.

:shrug: 4 billion people land-locked in the middle of Indo-China carry virus X. I'm sure it's terrible, but what's relevant to this discussion is how many of them rent diving equipment at the same shops I do. My guesstimate is somewhere between zip and none. If/when I go on a budget diving vacation to SEA I'll rethink that, but for now: meh.
Maybe you will find this of interest.
  • More than 50 percent of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly called cold sores or fever blisters.
Of course since the majority of divers already have Herpes Labialis its kind of a moot point.

More alarming would be this...
  • About one in six people ages 14-49 in the United States have genital HSV-2 infection. However, most people don’t know they are infected because their symptoms are too mild to notice or mistaken for something else.
Just saying...

Wow.... and to think my big worry on my first dive vacation was whether or not neoprene shorts were going to give my a case of case of crotch rot. Now I am worried necrotizing my entire junk sac. Very disturbing....

I am off to Grand Cayman in March. Having never been on a true dive vacation, what are the best of limited options on rinsing masks, regulators and suits? I historically only use my gear for a day or two before rinsing it in my garden hose supplied gear bucket. This sounds a lot scarier than pink eye and athletes foot/ jock itch (my previous big worries).

Baby shampoo was my first choice although there are also marketed wetsuit shampoos. As I got less picky any shampoo would do. Then I read that some people will even wash their neoprene in a front load washer with various detergents and now I sometimes do this myself. I think the greater risk with this, especially with top load washers, is abrasion damage during a high spin cycle. I have a front loader and use the gentle cycle that has a low velocity spin. You can even add Dettol to the wash.

When on vacation and if you have access to a small fan, directing it toward the hanging suits can help immensely in the drying time. I have even cut the ends from plastic bottles and placed them in my booties to hold them open and pointed toward a fan.

I really think the importance of a timely shower with a brisk scub as soon as possibly after the dive is one of the most important steps, especially for divers that rent suits. If you are really concerned then use Hibiclens then too.
I wash my wetsuits in the front loader with baby shampoo or “outdoor” soap from REI for the last 20 years without detrimental effects on either the suits or the washing machine.

I wash my wetsuits in the front loader with baby shampoo or “outdoor” soap from REI for the last 20 years without detrimental effects on either the suits or the washing machine.
Any particular settings that work for you and your front loader?
e.g.
gentle or regular cycle?
slow spin or no spin?
cold or warm (wash and / or rinse)?
not hot... or?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom