Sewing my own lycra dive skins -- Success!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gismonkey

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, my girlfriend and I are in the process of moving from the Pacific Northwest to Guam and trading our 7 mm wetsuits and drysuits in for spandex dive skins (55 degree water to 85). I decided that instead of paying for skins with huge advertisements on them, I would try my hand at making them. A few yards of spandex and some hours later, it seems to have been successful!

I used a pattern from the Green Pepper company (#408, the Willamette Racing Suit PDF of info) and about 1.5 yards for each skin of spandex I picked up from ebay for about $16. The first two I made for my girlfriend, and they seem to work great for her. They're plenty comfortable for dives to about 30-40 feet, just right for the coral reefs around the island, and give UV protection on the surface. Donning a wetsuit becomes a lot easier, too.

The only modifications I really needed to do was to add elastic thumb loops (so she can wear to don a wetsuit easily), a nylon mesh reinforcement for the knees, and customizing the sizing to fit better. I think on the next go around I'm going to merge a bunch of the pieces so there aren't as many seams and it's easier to cut out.

Total time to make one of these was around 6 hours (including cutting and sewing, but I got faster the second time), and probably cost $12-15 US (fabric + zipper and elastic). I used a serger with wooly nylon in both loopers and polyester thread for nearly the entire thing, which made very quick work of it. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty easy project and well worth it. I'm not a very experienced tailor, but this is a keeper. I'll be making a few more for both of us. Good times!

In the pictures, the purple one is the first I made (it's in front of my drysuit), and the fuschia and stripes one is the second. Both are for the girlfriend; mine is still a work in progress.

Attachments

• diveskin1.jpg
    diveskin1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 424
  • diveskin2.jpg
    diveskin2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 388
  • diveskin2_thumb.jpg
    diveskin2_thumb.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 297
  • diveskin2_knee.jpg
    diveskin2_knee.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 268
gismonkey,

I was searching on here to see if I was the only one doing this. I sew and I needed a custom suit. It only seemed logical to have a custom skin as well. I couldn't justify the cost of a custom skin. I went to my local fabric store with a 50% off coupon. The colors left a bit to be desired. But I found a black that was a bit shiny. Kind of a wet look. I just got all the stuff but it will be done by the end of the week.

The thumb loops are a cool idea, the pattern I got didn't have elastic at the feet either, so I just added it. I will post a pic if it comes out right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom